Skip to main content


11:50 16th September 2009

Final day defeat for Swans

Swansea City's season ended in defeat with Blackpool taking all three points at the Liberty Stadium.

The only goal of the game was scored early in the first-half through DJ Campbell despite a strong start by the hosts.

The Swans had chances to level throughout and even hit the woodwork deep into injury-time through Mark Gower but the Seasiders held on to record all three points.

Angel Rangel and Garry Monk were both missing for the season finale against Blackpool through injury.

Monk sat out with a hamstring injury while Rangel was still suffering from his troublesome Achilles; Alan Tate took over as captain with Albert Serran and Fede Bessone coming in for the injured pair.

There were also starts for Shaun MacDonald and Tom Butler while Kristian O'Leary was named amongst the substitutes.

Swans: Dorus de Vries; Alan Tate(C), Albert Serran, Ashley Williams, Fede Bessone (Mark Gower, 83'); Leon Britton (Joe Allen, 46'), Shaun MacDonald Gorka Pintado, 60'), Jordi Gomez, Andrea Orlandi, Tom Butler; Jason Scotland.

Not Used: Kristian O'Leary, Matty Collins.

Blackpool: Paul Rachubka; Alex Baptiste, Stephen Crainey, Keith Southern, Shaun Barker (C), Charlie Adam, DJ Campbell, Brett Ormerod (Claus Jorgensen, 87'), David Vaughan, Danny Coid, Roy O'Donovan (Wade Small, 90+2').

Not Used: Matt Gilkes, Ben Burgess, Simon Walton.

Attendance: 16,311 Away: 477

Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire)

There was a carnival atmosphere before the start of this final game at the Liberty Stadium and within the first four minutes of kick-off the Swans fans were almost rewarded with an early treat.

Tom Butler and Jordi Gomez got themselves into good positions inside the area, Jason Scotland had a half chance while Butler and Leon Britton fired early warning shots at Paul Rachubka's goal.

But despite the Swans' early domination it was the visitors that charged in front with Leicester City loanee DJ Campbell capitalising on Leon Britton losing the ball and charging down towards goal before firing low into the net.

Gomez almost offered an immediate response following the opener as he played a one-two with Scotland on the edge of the area but was foiled as he broke inside the box. Scotland was also on the end of an Albert Serran cross moments later but could only direct his effort wide of the target.

The Swans kept battling and went close through further Gomez and Shaun MacDonald efforts while an Ashley Williams header from Tom Butler's free-kick on 38 minutes deflected off the head of a defender for a corner.

Half-Time: Swans 0 Blackpool 1

Roberto made his first switch of the afternoon with Leon Britton going off for Joe Allen in a straight swap at the heart of the Swans' midfield.

And within 90 seconds the re-start Tom Butler had his side's first attempt of the half; Andrea Orlandi spread the ball from right to left with it landing at the feet of the Irishman, he cut inside past two defenders before firing low and straight at former Manchester United youngster Rachubka.

Extra fire power was thrown on in the shape of Gorka Pintado on the hour as he replaced Shaun MacDonald and moved up top alongside Jason Scotland.

With 66 minutes played the Swans were awarded a free-kick in dangerous territory following a fould on Scotland; the Trinidadian striker and Gomez stood over the ball, the latter struck and a slight deflection took it inches wide of the Seasiders' goal.

The two players combined three minutes later and this time it was Scotland who fancied his luck at goal, cutting inside before shooting straight at Rachubka.

He also tried his hand at some defending moments later as a corner from the right was deflected towards goal but hit the striker straight in the face.

The Swans made their first and final substitution of the game with less than 10 minutes remaining with Mark Gower coming on for Fede Bessone, and shortly after that change was made the home side had a big shout for a penalty as Gomez went down inside the area, but nothing was awarded by the referee.

Blackpool were close to having a penalty late on, but the referee ruled that the challenge was committed outside the box, while Joe Allen fired over the top of goal in the last minute.

Mark Gower hit the post deep into injury-time but Blackpool held out to secure all three points.

    Data provided by Press Association