Skip to main content


16:58 22nd August 2009

Williams fires Swans to victory

Swansea City picked up their win first win of the season following a single goal victory at Coventry.

Ashley Williams was the hero as he converted from close-range 20 minutes from time to score his second of the campaign.

The hosts did have the perfect chance to open the scoring early on from the penalty spot but Sammy Clingan fired wide of Dorus de Vries' goal.

Chris Coleman's side did apply plenty of pressure late on but the Swans held on to pick up an important three points.

The Swans boss handed Chad Bond his full debut for the game at the Ricoh Arena..

The 22-year-old Neath product came in for fellow youngster Kerry Morgan and played his first senior game since 2005 when he appeared as a late substitute in a Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie against Rushden.

Jordi Lopez, meanwhile, was on the bench after missing the last two fixtures with a dead leg.

Coventry: Keiren Westwood, Stephen Wright (C), Martin Cranie, Ben Turner, Patrick van Aanholt, Isaac Osbourne (Jack Cork, 65'), Sammy Clingan, Aron Gunnarsson, Michael McIndoe (Leon McKenzie, 86'), Leon Best (Freddy Eastwood, 85'), Clinton Morrison.

Not Used: Dimi Konstantopoulos (GK), Ashley Gain, Jermaine Grandison, Jordan Clarke.

Swans: Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Garry Monk(C), Ashley Williams, Alan Tate, Leon Britton Andrea Orlandi (Jordi Lopez, 70'), Mark Gower, Nathan Dyer, Chad Bond (Kerry Morgan, 65'), Stephen Dobbie (Gorka Pintado, 78').

Not Used:David Cornell (GK), Marcos Painter, Shaun MacDonald, Matty Collins.

Attendance: 16,307 Away: 1,060

Referee: Phil Crossley (Kent)

The visiting Swans fans were in full voice on a sunny day in Coventry and they had every reason to be following a confident start from their side.

The pace of the ball was too great as Stephen Dobbie chased it into the box just 90 seconds in while Nathan Dyer and Mark Gower linked-up well down the left before the former was grounded outside the area, but wasn't awarded a free-kick.

Dobbie had a glorious chance on five minutes after Dyer's pace got the better of Patrick van Aanholt down the right, the winger squared for the Scottish striker whose first time strike was blocked by Martin Cranie and deflected wide for a corner.

Excellent vision by Welsh international Ashley Williams on 10 minutes picked out the run of Dyer, the pacy winger took it down with a brilliant touch but, as he entered the area, the ball got stuck under his feet.

Leon Best shot wide from Isaac Osbourne's cross, their first effort on goal, while the home side were handed a glorious chance on 13 minutes when referee Phil Crossley awarded them a penalty.

Andrea Orlandi was penalised for handball from Aron Gunnarsson's long throw, Sammy Clingan stepped-up but, fortunately, sent the ball wide of the post.

Dorus de Vries was forced into making a save from Best's downward header on 17 minutes while Dobbie fired low and wide following a counter attacking move down the right.

The Swans were holding their own and just before the half-hour were awarded a free-kick in dangerous territory, Leon Best booked for a lunge on Mark Gower just outside the area.

Gower picked himself up to take the set-piece, squared for Orlandi whose low drive was well saved by 'keeper Keiren Westwood.

The home side were becoming more fluid with their attacks and tested de Vries again with less than five minutes before half-time.

Sammy Clingan drilled a free-kick out to the left-hand side finding winger Michael McIndoe, the former Bristol City player knocked the ball back across goal where Clinton Morrison was placed to fire a header straight at the Dutchman.

And following another fine Swansea City move down the left, which saw Gower's effort blocked by Stephen Wright, McIndoe fancied his luck from 20-yards but Dorus again got his body behind the ball.

The fourth official raised his board to indicate three minutes of added time and there was one last chance for the Swans to break the deadlock, Orlandi picking out the towering Chad Bond whose downward header missed the post by inches.

Half-Time: Coventry 0 Swans 0

Coventry kicked things off at the start of the second period but within a minute it was the Swans that orchestrated the first attempt on goal, Andrea Orlandi turning his man on the edge of the area before firing over the top.

The home side had to wait until just before the hour until they hah their first attempt; Aron Gunnarsson won his side a free-kick 25-yards from goal after Ashley Williams brought him down.

Michael McIndoe and Leon Best both stood over the ball, but the latter stepped up to take it and fired straight into the wall.

A first competitive goal in Swansea colours is what Mark Gower is still waiting for and he alomst grabbed it on 59 minutes only to pull his shot across goal and wide.

Paulo made his first change 20 minutes into the second-half as Chad Bond's league debut was brought to an end with Kerry Morgan coming on to replace him.

And the youngster from Merthyr's first job was to distinguish a Coventry goal threat, clearing the ball into the opposite half after Dorus de Vries had punched away a corner.

But the action quickly transferred to the opposite end where the opening goal was scored on 69 minutes.

Mark Gower's corner was cleared back to him and, at the second attempt, his cross was deflected onto the upright by Nathan Dyer's acrobatic effort - the ball, however, fell kindly for Ashley Williams who drilled into the bottom corner from close-range.

Jordi Lopez was introduced immediately after the goal, replacing Andrea Orlandi, before Sky Blues debutant Jack Cork tested de Vries with a low drive, forcing a save out of the Dutchman.

The Swans were on a high and almost grabbed a second 15 minutes from time following a counter attack which ended with Kerry Morgan drilling low into the hands of Westwood.

Paulo made his final change three minutes later as Gorka Pintado came on to replace Stephen Dobbie in a straight swap up-front.

Coventry threw Welsh international Freddy Eastwood into the mix and the home side enjoyed spells of pressure during the final five minutes.

The Swans defence had to be at its strongest as they defended corners and free-kicks, Sammy Clingan coming closest with his 89th minute set-piece which was punched clear by de Vries.

And Paulo's side held on through four minutes of injury-time to register their first victory of the 2009/10 Championship campaign.


    Data provided by Press Association