Skip to main content


17:09 29th August 2009

Tate header salvages point for Swans

Alan Tate was the Swansea City hero as his injury-time header salvaged a point against Watford at the Liberty Stadium.

The home side dominated their visitors for large periods of play and had a great chance to go in front in the first-half when Mark Gower crashed a volley onto the crossbar.

But it was Watford that broke the deadlock just after the hour, Tom Cleverley picking out Danny Graham with a free-kick and the striker firing through the legs of Dorus de Vries.

The Swans pushed on looking for an equaliser and threw on Lee Trundle to partner Craig Beattie 20 minutes from time.

As time ticked on it looked as if Paulo's side would suffer their first league defeat in three outings but, deep into injury-time, Alan Tate towered above the Hornets defence to head home the leveller.

Craig Beattie was the latest player to make his Swansea City debut this season after completing his move from West Brom on Friday.

The Scottish striker came in to replace the suspended Gorka Pintado in attack while the home side made a further five changes to the starting eleven.

Dorus de Vries returned to between the sticks, Matty Collins and Ashley Williams lined-up in defence while Andrea Orlandi and Mark Gower were back in midfield.

Lee Trundle had to wait in order to make his second Swans debut after being named on the bench.

Swans: Dorus de Vries; Matty Collins, Ashley Williams, Alan Tate(C), Marcos Painter; Jordi Lopez, Leon Britton (Lee Trundle, 71'), Andrea Orlandi (Besian Idrizaj, 85'), Mark Gower, Nathan Dyer (Kerry Morgan, 76'); Craig Beattie.

Not Used:David Cornell (GK), Jazz Richards, Shaun MacDonald, Chad Bond.

Watford: Scott Loach, Lee Hodson, Jay DeMerit (C), Lloyd Doyley, Adrian Mariappa, Henri Lansbury, Don Cowie (Jon Harley, 76'), Ross Jenkins, Tom Cleverley, Marvin Sordell (Nathan Ellington, 54'), Danny Graham (Will Hoskins, 81').

Not Used: Richard Lee (GK), Scott Severin, John Eustace, Michael Bryan.

Attendance: 14,172 Away: 469

Referee: A Taylor (Greater Manchester)


The sun was shining down on the Liberty Stadium as this game against the Hornets got underway but it took some time for both sides to settle themselves.

It took six minutes before the Swans were given a chance to put pressure on the visiting goalmouth as Andrea Orlandi was grounded 25-yards from goal - Mark Gower curled the resulting set-piece into the area which was safely dealt with by Scott Loach.

And Watford offered their first chance moments later with full-back Adrian Mariappa heading Tom Cleverley's corner over the top of goal.

Matty Collins' inclusion was one of many changes made to the starting line-up and he came close with a great effort 11 minutes in.

The move was orchestrated by Nathan Dyer with a dazzling move down the right and into the box, he picked out debutant Craig Beattie who in turn found Gower on the left, his cross was met by the head of Collins whose effort deflected inches over the bar.

Alan Tate came close to connecting with a Gower corner as we approached the quarter hour mark while the Hornets had their first attempt on target 16 minutes with Henri Lansbury firing straight at Dorus de Vries.

But the Swans came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock 60 seconds later - a pin point Collins cross picked out Gower, the winger turned his body and with a wicked right footed strike beat Loach but saw the ball clatter back off the crossbar.

Down at the other end, meanwhile, de Vries was forced into making his first stop of the afternoon 25 minutes, punching away a strong Marvin Sordell strike while Ross Jenkins also tested the Dutchman a minute later.


Lansbury forced another save from de Vries while Beattie came close to connecting with Mark Gower's right-sided corner six minutes before the break but failed to connect with his acrobatic effort.

Despite a dominating first 45 minutes by the home side it was Watford that had the final say with front-man Danny Graham's shot pushed away by Dorus.

Half-Time: Swans 0 Watford 0

Watford made an explosive start to the second-half and could have easily taken the lead after just 90 seconds but Marvin Sordell was unable to put enough power in his shot in the midst of a goalmouth scramble.

The ball was immediately cleared down the other end where Jordi Lopez was placed but his shot was easily stopped by Loach.

Beattie used his strength to his advantage on 52 minutes as he rose to head Andrea Orlandi's deep cross inches wide of the post, while Mark Gower's cut back found Andrea Orlandi three minutes later with his effort taking a wicked deflection over the top of goal.

And in the proceeding minutes the Swans had two penalty shouts turned down - the first on Marcos Painter after his mazy run past four players and into the area, and then Craig Beattie after he was sent through on goal by Nathan Dyer.

Despite the home side's dominance it was Watford that broke the deadlock on 64 minutes.

Ashley Williams was penalised for a foul, Manchester United loanee found Danny Graham with the free-kick and he struck under the legs of de Vries and into the corner of the net.

The Swans needed extra fire power in attack and with 19 minutes left of this game Lee Trundle was given a rapturous applause by the home crowd as he was introduced, replacing Leon Britton, to partner Craig Beattie up-front.


Jordi Lopez had two bites of the cherry with a free-kick 20-yards from goal - his first effort striking the wall but the follow up ending in the South Stand.

Paulo made his second sub moments later with Kerry Morgan coming on to replace Nathan Dyer out wide.

It didn't take long for Trundle to show his true class, picking out Beattie with an excellent through ball only for his fellow debutant to see his shot pushed wide by Loach for a corner.

And from Gower's resulting cross Marcos Painter came in fast and low to direct a header towards goal which the 'keeper stopped on the line, while Loach performed more heroics on 83 minutes as he directed an stining Orlandi effort wide of goal.

Sousa's final roll of the dice came five minutes before the end as he bolstered his attacking line by throwing on Besian Idrizaj in place of Orlandi.

And a minute before time Trundle went close to levelling with a glorious chance - Mark Gower's cross was knocked back across goal by Beattie where Trundle was place unmarked only to send his glancing header wide of the post.

But it wasn't to end there, the fourth official indicated that there would be a minimum of five minutes of added time to play and this is where the Swans spoilt the Watford party.

Two minutes into added time and the hosts were awarded a corner, Gower swung the ball in from the right and captain Alan Tate towered above the Watford defence to power a header into the net.

The Swans continued their dominance in the final two minutes of the added five and were awarded a further two corners but were unable to add to their late leveller.

    Data provided by Press Association