Skip to main content


22:18 23rd March 2010

Poor night at the seaside for Swans

The Swans suffered their heaviest defeat of the season at Bloomfield Road on a Championship night to forget  as promotion rivals Blackpool re-ignited their own play-off hopes with a thumping 5-1 victory. Brett Ormerod opened the scoring after just 13 minutes, before Ian Evatt doubled the lead on the stroke of half time. Ben Burgess made it three straight after the break, with Ormerod grabbing his second and Gary Taylor-Fletcher completing the rout before Cedric van der Gun pulled one back for the stunned Swans. Blackpool: Matthew Gilks, Stephen Crainey, Ian Evatt, Alex Baptiste, Seamus Coleman, Keith Southern, Charlie Adam (Stephen Husband, 74'), Gary Taylor-Fletcher, Billy Clarke (Barry Bannan, 62'), Brett Ormerod, Ben Burgess (Jason Euell, 74').

Not Used: Paul Rachubka (GK), Danny Mitchley, Rob Edwards, Andy Butler.

Swans: Dorus de Vries, Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams, Alan Tate (C), Cedric van der Gun, Leon Britton (Andrea Orlandi, 60'), Mark Gower, Guillem Bauza, Nathan Dyer, David Cotterill (Darren Pratley, 46'), Shefki Kuqi (Gorka Pintado, 60').

Not Used: David Cornell (GK), Lee Trundle, Tom Butler, David Edgar. Attendance: 9,149 Away: 323

Referee: N Miller (County Durham) Swans boss Paulo Sousa made just the one change for the fixture against Blackpool at a wet and bitterly cold Bloomfield Road.

It came in defence where Jazz Richards was replaced by Cedric van der Gun, while new loan recruit David Edgar was named amongst the substitutes.

Skipper Garry Monk missed out again but there was some good news as Andrea Orlandi returned following a month on the sidelines to take his spot on the bench.

Blackpool's dreams of reaching the Championship play-off's had started to slowly fade away in the build-up to this fixture with Ian Holloway's side registering just one victory from their last five fixtures. But the Tangerines started this clash in high spirits with a strong start against their visitors, patiently keeping the ball during the early exchanges and forcing the game's first attempt with five minutes played as Gary Taylor-Fletcher saw his dipping effort stopped by Dorus de Vries. The Swans responded shortly afterwards as they were awarded the first corner of the evening but David Cotterill's delivery was cleared from danger. Blackpool, however, were rewarded for their strong start to this game with goal on 13 minutes - Taylor-Fletcher's initial strike from the left of goal was well stopped by de Vries but the Dutchman failed to keep hold of the ball leaving a rush to reach it between Ashley Williams and Brett Ormerod, unfortunately it was the latter that got to it first to poke it in from a matter of yards. The home side continued to dominate early proceedings following their goal but the Swans did feel that they should have been awarded a penalty midway inside the half when Guillem Bauza was grounded by Ian Evatt only for the referee, who had a clear view of the incident, to wave play on. Nathan Dyer had the visitors' first attempt at goal which blocked inside the six-yard box by defender Evatt but shortly after the half-hour they put together their best move of the half, started by David Cotterill who passed three men after cutting in from the right, playing a neat one-two with Shefki Kuqi whose return sent the winger racing into the box but goalkeeper Matthew Gilks was first to retrieve the ball at his feet. And with four minutes to go until half-time the home stopper came to their rescue again, this time Mark Gower was looking to latch on to the end of Bauza's defence splitting through ball but Gilks was first on the scene to safely collect. But despite ending the half stronger, it all changed when the fourth official raised his board to indicate that a further two minutes were to be played. Blackpool broke down the left-hand side and despite Leon Britton's best efforts he was unable to stop Billy Clarke's deep cross which was met by Ian Evatt and sent through a crowd of players and into the net. Half-Time: Blackpool 2 Swans 0 Darren Pratley was introduced at the start of the second-half in place of David Cotterill but even before he could get going the Swans found themselves further behind - Dorus de Vries was well beaten by Billy Clarke's curling shot but that hit the post, unfortunately it bounced back into Ben Burgess' path who had little to do other than put the ball into an empty net. The Swans responded almost instantly when Cedric van der Gun, who moved forward from the full-back position to the wing, saw his close-range header from Mark Gower's free-kick tipped over the bar by Gilks. It was certainly going to be an uphill task at this point and Paulo played his final two hands by throwing Andrea Orlandi and Gorka Pintado into the mix and the latter came very close to reducing the deficit with a low strike across goal shortly after the hour. But it was a Blackpool substitute that had the desired affect by helping his side add a fourth; it was Barry Bannan who cut back for Brett Ormerod on the edge of the box and the front-man was able to find the top corner of the net with a superb strike, leaving de Vries with no chance. Swansea's new midfield of Orlandi and Pratley looked dangerous at times but were ineffective against a stylish Blackpool team on the night. And Pratley was inches away from scoring with a wicked drive from 25-yards, but that was just after Gary Taylor-Fletcher added a fifth with a simple tap in from Barry Bannan's cut back. But one thing Blackpool weren't able to keep was a clean sheet as Cedric van der Gun raced beyond two defenders before pulling a neat shot beyond Gilks to find the bottom corner with six minutes left on the clock. The Dutchman and substitute Pintado both had chances to add to the Swans' tally towards the end but 5-1 was how it finished on a bitterly disappointing night in the north west.
    Data provided by Press Association