Skip to main content


17:13 5th April 2010

Swans turn it on to comfortably beat Scu

Swansea City eased to their biggest win of the season against strugglers Scunthorpe at the Liberty.

The home side dominated from start to finish as they topped the attempts at goal column with 25 - 14 of which were on target - but they had to wait until just before the half-hour to bread the deadlock when David Edgar fired home at the back post following a corner.

The second-half was no different and it only took six minutes before Ashley Williams doubled the lead before Shefki Kuqi fired home his first Liberty goal just before the end.

Not only was it the biggest result of the campaign, the Swans also broke the club's clean sheet record to take the number of shut out's for the season to 23.

Paulo Sousa made wholesale changes to his side for the Bank Holiday visit of Scunthorpe.

Skipper Garry Monk and Wales international Joe Allen made notable returns while the Swans boss also included Mark Gower, David Cotterill, Shefki Kuqi and Guillem Bauza - who last started a league fixture at the Liberty in February of last year - in his starting eleven.

Darren Pratley, Andrea Orlandi, Gorka Pintado and vice-captain Alan Tate dropped the bench.

Swans:Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Garry Monk(C), Ashley Williams, David Edgar; Joe Allen (Lee Trundle, 76'), Mark Gower, Guillem Bauza (Darren Pratley, 71'), Nathan Dyer, David Cotterill; Shefki Kuqi (Gorka Pintado, 84').

Not Used:David Cornell (GK), Alan Tate, Andrea Orlandi, Tom Butler.

Scunthorpe: Joe Murphy; Niall Canavan, Cliff Byrne (C), Michael Raynes, Marcus Williams (Jim McNulty, 46'), Matthew Sparrow (Gary Hooper, 61'), Josh Wright, Donal McDermott, Grant McCann, Paul Hayes (Martyn Woolford, 68'), Garry Thompson.

Not Used: Josh Lillis (GK), Andrew Wright, Jonathan Forte, Matt Godden.

Attendance: 14,830 Away: 164

Referee: D Whitestone (Northants)

There's no doubting that this game came at the right time following the disappointment of the weekend defeat at Cardiff, enabling the Swansea players a chance to get the reverse out of their system fairly quickly.

The home side were given an early scare when Iron striker Paul Hayes, the younger brother of one-time Swan, Martin, was left in acres of space on the edge of the area to fire inches wide of Dorus de Vries' upright.

But after that it was one way traffic in the home side's favour with Angel Rangel and Shefki Kuqi both coming close inside the first six minutes.

Nathan Dyer played in the overlapping Rangel who fired straight at 'keeper Joe Murphy before David Cotterill's left-sided cross was clipped onto the crossbar by Finnish international Kuqi.

Irishman Murphy was beaten again moments later when Joe Allen's attempt was deflected over the top of goal while Kuqi came within inches of breaking the deadlock on 10 minutes when his low effort dropped the wrong side of the upright with the aid of another deflection.

The one-way traffic continued as the game hit the quarter-hour mark as the returning Guillem Bauza got in on the action, the Mallorcan seeing his close-range header saved from point blank range following Kuqi's flick-on from David Edgar's throw.

Scunthorpe were struggling to see the ball and with 27 minutes on the clock the Swans' dominance was rewarded with an opener - Nathan Dyer won the corner which was delivered into the area by Cotterill, Garry Monk was first to it with te flick and David Edgar pounced at the back post to convert into the roof of the net.

Swans players celebrate with goalscorer David Edgar

Swansea continued to look lively as they went forward with Cotterill, Kuqi, Bauza and Dyer all causing panic amongst the visiting defence, while Scunthorpe conjured their first opportunity since Paul Hayes fired wide early on.

It came 10 minutes before the break as Matthew Sparrow released Donal McDermott from midfield, carrying the ball into the area only to hit a brick wall - Garry Monk - before Dyer safely cleared Swansea lines.

But normal service was resumed two minutes before the break, Bauza again coming close with a fierce strike wide of goal after the ball bounced kindly for him inside the area.

Half-Time: Swans 1 Scunthorpe 0

The Swans took their fine form into the second period and within six minutes of the re-start they doubled their lead.

And for the second game in a row it was a third goal from a corner - David Cotterill's delivery bobbled on the edge of the six-yard area before Guillem Bauza got an eventual touch, his shot was going across goal and wide before a Scunthorpe player directed it into the path of Ashley Williams who, from six-yard, found the back of the net.

Paulo's side were in fine form which the visitors found hard to combat, and they could easily have been three down within a few minutes of Williams' second as Bauza curled past Murphy's left post. Shefki Kuqi came even closer on 59 minutes but his flick from Cotterill's delivery was held by the 'keeper.

His opposite number, Dorus de Vries, continued to be an added spectator to the near 15,000 present at the Liberty while his side continued to press forward.

Cotterill fired an ambitious strike inches over the top of goal, Joe Allen came close with a wicked effort just passed goal and Kuqi beat the offside trap to go through one-on-one with Murphy, his shot was saved while Dyer's follow up was also blocked.

Front-man Kuqi also flicked wide 15 minutes from the end before he was handed a new strike partner in the form of Lee Trundle for the remainder of this fixture.

It was game over five minutes later as the Kosovon-born star was handed a bit of luck to fire home his first goal at the Liberty - Garry Monk's ball over the top was flicked goalbound by Niall Canavan who was unaware of Kuqi's presence, allowing him to charge down on Murphy and fire low beyond the stopper, sending the home crowd into raptures.

Scunthorpe had to wait until four minutes from time before they created their first chance of the afternoon, substitute Martyn Woolford curling a free-kick onto the top side of the crossbar, while Swans' replacement Gorka Pintado showed a fine turn of pace to run from inside his own area to the edge of the area where his eventual shot was spilled and collected by Murphy.

    Data provided by Press Association