Skip to main content


22:50 10th August 2010

Final: Swans 3 Barnet 0

Swansea City strolled into the second round of the Carling Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win over Barnet at the Liberty Stadium. Goals from Cedric van der Gun, Darren Pratley and Shefki Kuqi struck the decisive blows. Team News The Swans made a number of changes for this Carling Cup tie with 18-year-old Joe Walsh making his first team debut at left-back. With Ashley Williams away on Wales duty, Alan Tate moved across to partner skipper Garry Monk in the heart of the defence, with Albert Serran at right-back. There was also a welcome return for midfielder Joe Allen for his first start of the season following a shoulder injury. He partnered Andrea Orlandi and Scott Donnelly in the middle of the park. Young Kerry Morgan was also given a rare start out wide after a successful loan spell at Newport County last season. Cedric van der Gun took the opposite flank, with big Shefki Kuqi as the main striker. There was plenty of experience on the bench in Darren Pratley, Nathan Dyer, Stephen Dobbie, Jordi Lopez and Mark Gower. Swansea City: de Vries, Serran, Tate, Monk (c), Walsh, Donnelly, Orlandi, Allen, Morgan, Kuqi, Morgan. Subs: Pratley, Dyer, Dobbie, Lopez, Gower, Thomas, Grimes. Barnet: Cole, Southam, Marshall, Holmes, Cox, Leach, Byrne, Dennehy, Hughes, Uddin (c), Poole. Subs: Carpenter, Kamdjo, Kelly, Jarvis, Parkes, Hart, Stimson. Ref: A M Penn. Att: 6,644 Match report It was the League Two side who made the brighter start as Mark Byrne got in behind Monk only to fire a great chance wide with six minutes gone. Almost immediately after, Dorus de Vries was forced into two good saves to deny Ricky Holmes and Glen Poole as the Swans were slow out of the blocks. But the home side slowly started to find their feet and their passing as Kerry Morgan saw his shot blocked. And with 18 minutes gone, Swansea should have been ahead when Cedric van der Gun cut in from the left only to be brought down inside the area by Sam Fox. The referee immediately pointed to the penalty spot. Shefki Kuqi stepped up to put the ball on the spot, only to blast the penalty against the crossbar and away to safety. Kerry Morgan struck the bar himself minutes later with a long range effort before the breakthrough finally came in the 25th minute. Albert Serran set it up with a curling cross to the far post where Cedric van der Gun arrived to head home a great finish beyond Jake Cole.   Swansea looked comfortable after the opener, although Barnet were looking sharp on the counter-attack. Half-time: Swans 1 Barnet 0  Barnet's Jordan Parkes replaced Sam Cox at the start of the second-half as the Swans looked lively early on. Daniel Leach joined Mark Hughes in the referee's notebook with 53 minutes gone for a challenge on Andrea Orlandi as the Swans pushed for the second goal. Joe Allen was getting back to his best as well as he flashed a 25-yard shot inches wide of Cole's goal. Orlandi was also prepared to try his luck from distance as he tested Cole from the edge of the area with a shot the 'keeper easily saved, while Kerry Morgan was giving an impressive performance wide on the right. Gun wasn't prepared to be left out, however, as he cut in from the left in search of his second goal of the evening, flashing a right-foot shot inches the wrong side of the far post. Swans boss Brendan Rodgers made a double change with 63 minutes gone as Darren Pratley and Mark Gower replaced Donnelly and Allen. Danny Hart and Danny Kelly came on for Mark Marshall Mark Hughes for Barnet. Swansea were still on the ascendency, however, as Kuqi's goal-bound shot was deflected for a corner, while Kerry Morgan also came close from the edge of the area. Barnet nearly caught them napping on the 70th minute though as Danny Kelly got away with a pull on Alan Tate before forcing de Vries into a good save. The all-important second duly arrived in the 71st minute as a Darren Pratley finished off a superb run by rifling a shot into the roof of the net before taking off his shirt and showing his No.8 to the fans. After the celebrations, Nathan Dyer replaced Kerry Morgan with the victory looking set. Monk was booked before a scuffle ensued soon after when Tate was pulled up for a tackle on Parkes. Kuqi and Tate were eventually booked for their troubles. Dyer nearly set up a third in the 85th minute when he pulled a ball back for Kuqi, but the Flying Finn fired wide. Kuqi made up for it in the 88th minute, however, when he latched onto a through ball to apply a cool finish beyond Cole.
    Data provided by Press Association