Skip to main content


22:28 19th October 2010

Swans and QPR share the spoils

The Swans maintained their unbeaten home record with a goalless draw against table-topping QPR.

Despite a slow start the home side ended the first-half strongly and were handed a fine chance to take the lead from the penalty spot.

Darren Pratley was grounded by Clint Hill in the corner of the area, David Cotterill stepped up but visiting 'keeper Paddy Kenny was equal to his effort, pushing it wide for a corner.

The Swans enjoyed spells of possession in the second period and Pratley saw an effort cleared off the line, while at the other end Dorus de Vries pulled off an excellent save to deny Jamie Mackie.

Brendan Rodgers made just the one change for the visit of QPR.

It was a straight swap in midfield as David Cotterill replaced the injured Mark Gower (hamstring), meaning the line-up stayed the same as it did for the majority of the win at Reading.

Joe Allen made his return from injury to take his place on the bench where he was joined by new recruit Marvin Emnes.

Swans:Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Garry Monk(C), Ashley Williams, Alan Tate; Andrea Orlandi (Craig Beattie, 85'), Darren Pratley, Nathan Dyer, David Cotterill (Joe Allen, 46'), Scott Sinclair, Stephen Dobbie (Frank Nouble, 66').

Not Used:Yves Makabu-Makalambay (GK), Neil Taylor, Albert Serran, Marvin Emnes.

QPR:Paddy Kenny, Kyle Walker, Kaspars Gorkss, Matt Connolly, Clint Hill, Alejandro Faurlin, Shaun Derry, Adel Taarabt (C) (Tommy Smith, 80'), Jamie Mackie, Hogan Ephraim (Leon Clarke, 89'), Heidar Helguson (Patrick Agyemang, 81').

Not Used: Radek Cerny (GK), Bradley Orr, Fitz Hall, Gavin Mahon.

Attendance: 16,742 Away: 470

Two unbeaten records - Swansea's at home and QPR's overall - went on the line at a cold Liberty Stadium as the league reached its quarter mark.

Neil Warnock's side had been earning rave reviews prior to their trip to south west Wales with skipper Adel Taarabt billed as one of their key men.

And he certainly showed off his skils early on in the middle of the park as he gave the hosts the runaround.

Home striker Stephen Dobbie, too, showed that he could be nifty with the ball at his feet and with seven minutes played wrong footed his marker before firing wide, while Jamie Mackie struck the side netting barely a minute later at the other end.

And based on the first quarter of this game you could see why the R's were topping the table - not only could they pass the ball they could keep hold of it and had the pace to supplement it.

The first serious goalbound effort even fell to experienced front-man Heidar Helguson who forced Dorus de Vries into pushing the ball away to safety 21 minutes in.

The Swans had to wait a further 12 minutes for their best chance as Dobbie raced through on the end of David Cotterill's pass, cutting in on but but firing straight at the feet of goalkeeper Paddy Kenny.

And the former Sheffield United stopper was to come to their rescue again five minutes before the break when he denied David Cotterill from the penalty spot - Darren Pratley went down under the challenge of Clint Hill but Kenny was alert as he pushed the spot-kick away for a corner.

Half-Time: Swans 0 QPR 0

Joe Allen was introduced in place of Cotterill at the start of the second-half and moments after the re-start Stephen Dobbie went close with a curler just over the top of goal.

Kyle Walker responded for the visitors with a drive pulled across goal while Darren Pratley completed a move with a weak shot into the hands of Kenny moments later.

The Swans were having the upper hand at the start of the second period but just couldn't find that killer final ball when it mattered.

And they were almost caught out just after the hour as QPR attempted to cause problems from a counter attack, Adel Taarabt sending Jamie Mackie clean through but he was to find Dorus de Vries at his best to deflect his shot off target.

Frank Nouble became the Swans' second change when he came on in place of Stephen Dobbie, and within minutes of his introduction he finished off a neat move with a shot off target, while the West Ham loanee played a part in the next move which saw Scott Sinclair whistle a shot inches over the top of goal.

And the chances kept on coming, this time Pratley seeing his effort cleared off the line as the defence failed to deal with an Orlandi corner with 15 minutes to go.

Craig Beattie was thrown on for the final minutes in a bid to bring more firepower to the side but both sides played out the remainder of time to share the spoils.
    Data provided by Press Association