Skip to main content


17:01 22nd January 2011

Sinclair penalty rescues point at Barnsl

Swansea City left it late to take a share of the spoils at Barnsley.

Scott Sinclair converted an 86th minute penalty - his third in two games - to level the scores at 1-1.

Barnsley skipper Bobby Hassell gave the hosts the lead early on and they did have chances to extend their advantage.

Brendan Rodgers' side had chances of their own but had to wait until the very end to make their mark.

The Swans were unchanged for this game against Barnsley at Oakwell.

Youngster Jazz Richards retained his place in the left-back position with Alan Tate continuing as captain at the heart of defence.

Leon Britton, meanwhile, marked his return to the club from Sheffield United with a place amongst the substitutes.

Barnsley: Luke Steele, Kieran Trippier, Bobby Hassell, Nathan Doyle, Matt Hill, Jim O'Brien (Alastair Taylor, 74'), Hugo Colace, Diego Arismendi, Jacob Butterfield, Garry O'Connor (Goran Lovre, 84'), Danny Haynes.

Subs: David Preece (GK), Steven Bennett, Jeronimo Neumann, Andy Gray, Conor Branson.

Swans:Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams, Alan Tate(C), Jazz Richards; Joe Allen (Leon Britton, 76'), Mark Gower (Stephen Dobbie, 68'), Darren Pratley; Nathan Dyer (Cedric van der Gun, 68'), Scott Sinclair, Luke Moore.

Subs:Yves Ma-Kalambay (GK), Albert Serran, Kemy Agustien, Craig Beattie.

Attendance: 10,481

Referee: P Gibbs (West Midlands)

Ending a run of three successive away defeats was the aim at Oakwell and a win for the Swans would have temporarily put them level on points with league leaders QPR.

And with a positive record against Barnsley in recent years, and the Tykes struggling for form, this gave Brendan Rodgers' side a great chance to clinch maximum points.

Luke Moore had a great chance to score his first for the club with just six minutes played, outmuscling Bobby Hassell on the edge of the area but failing to test 'keeper Luke Steele after cutting in to his right, while Dorus de Vries was alert to deny Hugo Colace from distance moments later.

Garry O'Connor had an even better chance for the hosts on 10 minutes as he connected from a corner but saw his goalbound strike blocked by Jazz Richards.

The deadlock was broken four minutes later, however, as another Butterfield corner was met by the head of Hassell at the back post. Joe Allen did his best to keep it out but the ball had just creeped over the line as he attempted to clear.

And one could easily have become two almost straight away as Butterfield's quick free-kick fed O'Connor into the box but a snap shot from the Scottish international was saved by the legs of de Vries.

It took some time for the Swans to find their rhythm and after Steele was tested by Scott Sinclair there came another chance to level 25 minutes in when patient build-up resulted in Moore bursting into the box and firing straight at the goalkeeper.

And Ashley Williams came even closer as he had two bites of the cherry six-yards from goal - firstly forcing a block on the line after connecting with Gower's corner before firing over with his next attempt.

The Swans continued to press for a leveller before the break but failed to break down a stern Barnsley defence.

Half-Time: Barnsley 1 Swans 0

The visitors were handed a scare right at the start of the second period when Ashley Williams went down clutching his head but he was able to play on after some minor treatment.

And after that, even with their makeshift defence, Barnsley continued to frustrate the Swans in their bid to get back on level terms in this game.

Both goalkeepers were kept relatively quiet up until after the hour though Dorus de Vries was forced to clear his lines on a couple of occasions.

The first clear cut chance of the half came midway through when the Swans were awarded a corner. Mark Gower took it quickly to Scott Sinclair, he crossed into the heart of the box and Ashley Williams was there only to direct his header wide.

Gower went even closer moments later when his free-kick was pushed wide by Luke Steele; it was to be his final involvement as he was replaced by Stephen Dobbie, while Cedric van der Gun was also introduced in place of Nathan Dyer.

And it wasn't long before Leon Britton was sent on to replace Joe Allen in midfield, and he was greeted by a rapturous applause from the Swans fans who braved the long trip to South Yorkshire.

No matter how hard they tried, the visitors were just not getting any luck in front of goal. Chances were being made and Sinclair was ruing his missed attempt 12 minutes before the end when his downward header from Pratley's cross dropped wide of goal.

But he certainly made amends as time ticked down to score the leveller from the penalty spot. Steele brought him down as he entered the six-yard box with the ball before picking himself up, placing it on the spot and sending the 'keeper the wrong way.

Luke Moore even had the chance to win it but he screwed his effort wide as the game entered four minutes of injury-time, while Dobbie saw his header blocked on the line by Steele.

There was even later drama when Alan Tate touched a Dobbie corner wide at the near post but the point at Oakwell ended the Swans' three match winless run on the road.
    Data provided by Press Association