Skip to main content


17:06 19th February 2011

Swans ease to victory against Donny

Match Report Sponsor

Neil Taylor returned from almost two months on the sidelines to start this clash against Doncaster.

The left-back had been sidelined with an ankle injury but was drafted in to replace fellow youngster Jazz Richards at left-back.

Joe Allen and Stephen Dobbie, who made a difference after coming on at Middlesbrough, also started in place of Leon Britton and Darren Pratley respectively.

Swans:Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Alan Tate(C), Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor; Joe Allen, Mark Gower (Leon Britton, 41'), Stephen Dobbie (Darren Pratley, 76'); Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair, Luke Moore (Craig Beattie, 83').

Not Used:Yves Ma-Kalambay (GK), Albert Serran, Jazz Richards, Cedric van der Gun.

Doncaster: Neil Sullivan, Joseph Mills, Sam Hird (Byron Webster, 86'), Wayne Thomas (Matt Kilgallon, 73'), George Friend, John Oster (C), Franck Moussa, Mark Wilson, Paul Keegan (Denis Souza, 86'), Dean Shiels, Jason Euell.

Not Used: Gary Woods (GK).

Attendance: tbc Away: tbc

Referee: P Miller (Bedfordshire)

The race for promotion continued with the visit of Doncaster who arrived at the Liberty Stadium with a slight crisis in terms of player numbers.

Sean O'Driscoll's side was already heavily depleted for their trip to south west Wales but they suffered a further blow in the hour leading up to the game when star man James Coppinger pulled up.

And the Swans looked to stamp their authority on this game early with the usual brand of free style football ofted adopted by their South Yorkshire opponents.

Stephen Dobbie had a chance inside the first two minutes which dropped wide, but it didn't take long before an early reward came their way.

Only five minutes had been played when Nathan Dyer slipped in Angel Rangel to charge down the right, the full-back cut in and slid the ball into Scott Sinclair's path and, with a simple touch, knocked it past Neil Sullivan for goal number 19 of the season.

The home side were making it look easy when they had the ball but Doncaster were still trying to stick to their game plan and pass it about at every opportunity.

Swans fans will have fond memories of Angel Rangel's injury-time leveller at Doncaster earlier in the season, and with 15 minutes played of this game he almost surpassed himself with an even great effort.

Ashley Williams' crossfield pass to Dyer was knocked down into the right-back's path and with one swift strike he fired te ball across Neil Sullivan's path and wide for a goal kick.

Dobbie came close again moments later while Dyer, racing onto Rangel's long pass, beat Sullivan to the ball but despite lobbing it over him Sam Hird got back to clear the danger.

It continued to be one-way traffic as the half hit mid-way with Sinclair firing over and Luke Moore coming very close to opening his Swansea account but was inches away from finding the corner of the net. Williams was also able to pick out Rangel with another cross-field pass on the half-hour, allowing his to take a touch and close in on goal but, as he went to pull the trigger, Hird stuck the boot in.

But their first-half dominance was rewarded five minutes before half-time with a second goal - Gower's corner wasn't dealt with and despite making a save from Ashley Williams' initial shot, Sullivan couldn't do anything about his next effort as he deflected a diving header into the net.

Half-Time: Swans 2 Doncaster 0

The second-half was no difference to the first in terms of which side saw more of the ball.

Swansea continued to dominate and were continuously working at ways to break down Doncaster's stern defence which was providing a slight difficulty.

Neil Taylor was glowing in his return game with a number with a number of important runs down the left, and even into the area on one occasion only to be thwarted by Hird. And Leon Britton, who replaced the injured Mark Gower just before half-time, was also starring into the middle of the park.

It took until the 68th minute before the visitors finally attempted to pull off a shot, and it was a chance that fell to one-time Swansea City loanee Mark Wilson but his attempt was blocked 30-yards from goal.

And two minutes later the home side that their first clear-cut attempt of the second period when Dobbie cut in on his left foot and shot at goal, forcing Sullivan into making a fine one-handed save to force a corner.

The Scotsman was replaced shorly afterwards by Darren Pratley and one the first things he did was play a part in the Swans adding a third.

It was great team play from the back which started with Alan Tate, and as it played through Britton into Pratley the midfielder was given plenty of space to stride forward before playing in Luke Moore - the striker took a touch and made no mistake from inside the area to bag his first in a white shirt.

And that was to be his final involvement of the afternoon before being replaced by Craig Beattie seven minutes before the end.

The Swans were given the chance to score a fourth in injury-time with a free-kick just outside the box, Sinclair struck it cleanly but Sullivan was alert to push it away for a corner.

    Data provided by Press Association