Skip to main content


21:43 22nd February 2011

Super sub Dobbie sinks Coventry

Brendan Rodgers has made three changes to the side for this game at Coventry.

In come Leon Britton, Darren Pratley and Craig Beattie to replace Joe Allen, Stephen Dobbie and Luke Moore who all started in the weekend win against Doncaster Rovers.

Mark Gower is passed fit to play after he was forced off in the first-half against Donny with a slight knock.

Coventry, meanwhile, include one-time Swansea City loanee Stephen O'Halloran in their defence.

Keiren Westwood (C); Richard Keogh, Stephen O'Halloran, David Bell, Marlon King, Lukas Jutkiewicz, Martin Cranie, Aron Gunnarsson, Carl Baker (Gary McSheffrey, 79'), Richard Wood, Nathan Cameron.

Not Used: Daniel Ireland (GK), Sammy Clingan, Freddy Eastwood, Chris Hussey, Jordan Clarke, Roy O'Donovan.

Swans:Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Alan Tate(C), Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor; Leon Britton, Mark Gower, Darren Pratley (Stephen Dobbie, 72'); Nathan Dyer (Kemy Agustien, 90+3'), Scott Sinclair, Craig Beattie (Luke Moore, 71').

Not Used:Yves Ma-Kalambay (GK), Jazz Richards, Joe Allen, Cedric van der Gun.

Attendance: 13,481 Away: 1,195

Referee: K Stroud (Dorset)

The temperature dipped in the West Midlands as this game got underway and immediately the Swans found their rhythm.

Only three minutes had been played when Scott Sinclair sent Mark Gower charging down the left in acres of space, he had Craig Beattie and Nathan Dyer to pick out in the centre but his cross was a little over hit.

Marlon King squandered a chance for the hosts moments later while Beattie had the game's first attempt eight minutes in when his drive was stopped by 'keeper Keiren Westwood.

But the Republic of Ireland international was caught out by Swansea's next attempt - Alan Tate's drive found Sinclair out wide on the left and with pace he ran straight at Richard Keogh, cut inside and curled towards goal only for Darren Pratley to get in the way to help it deflect wide for a goal kick.

Coventry were finding it difficult to cope with their visitors' style and they went close again on 19 minutes when Ashley Williams fired over from a corner, but the hosts went straight down the other end and tested Dorus de Vries for the first time through Aron Gunnarsson.

They started to steadily bring themselves back into this contest and looked to cause havoc with a couple of Gunnarsson long throws, while King found space inside the box and narrowly shot over just before the half-hour.

And after Westwood denied Dyer with a weak effort Coventry continued to get themselves into this game and press, and five minutes before the break theyt had two great chances - firstly David Bell seeing his drive tipped over the bar for a corner, and from the flag-kick it cleared to Gunnarsson who fired inches over from 20-yards.

Half-Time: Coventry 0 Swans 0

The home side flew out of the blocks at the start of the second-half and were piling on the pressure as they regularly entered the Swans' half.

They were like a completely different side to the one that started the game and within minutes of the re-start felt they should have had a penalty when Lukas Jutkiewicz went down under a challenge from Dorus de Vries.

The decision actually went in the Dutchman's favour and he was forced into making an excellent save from a Marlon King free-kick.

Coventry were on top as far as chances were concerned and as the game ticked beyond the hour mark both Jutkiewicz and Carl Baker tested de Vries with strikes low to his left.

Rodgers felt that changes needed to be made so, with 20 minutes left to play, both Stephen Dobbie and Luke Moore went sent on in place of Pratley and Beattie to freshen things up in attack.

And both players made an immediate impact as the visitors threated Coventry's goal for the first time in this half.

Dobbie's pace got the better of O'Halloran and as he entered the box was able to glide past the defender, shoot low beyond Westwood only for the post to deny him, the ball fell kindly for Moore but he struck the bar, and from the third rebound Sinclair headed onto the post.

Swans fans would feel inclined to think that things just weren't going their way - that was until only another two minutes had gone by. Neil Taylor delivered a teasing cross, Dyer knocked it back in and Dobbie was placed to strike on the half-volley to give the Swans the lead.

That goal handed the side a major boost in confidence as they went seeking a way to kill this game off in the closing stages.

Coventry, though, didn't give up the fight and were even handed an extra four minutes of injury-time to seek out a leveller. The Swans threw on Kemy Agustien for extra muscle at the back and they managed to hold on to chalk up an important victory in the race for promotion.
    Data provided by Press Association