Skip to main content


13:26 28th February 2011

Final: Swans 3 Leeds 0

Swansea City turned on the style in front of the live Sky cameras at the Liberty Stadium to stamp their promotion credentials firmly on the Championship. Two goals from Scott Sinclair, the second from the penalty spot, and a breathtaking third from Luke Moore carved open fellow promotion contenders Leeds United. A record home crowd of 19,309 turned out to see the Swans cement their place in second with their fourth consecutive victory. Swans boss Brendan Rodgers kept the same side that beat Doncaster at the Liberty last Saturday with Joe Allen, Stephen Dobbie and Luke Moore recalled from the side that won at Coventry in midweek. It meant that Leon Britton, Darren Pratley and Craig Beattie had to be content with a place on the bench as the Swans went in search of their fourth consecutive victory to maintain their promotion push in second place. Mark Gower kept his place in the all-important central midfield three alongside Allen and Dobbie. They faced a Leeds side in sixth place and with just one defeat on 20 league games. They were without the supended Bradley Johnson in midfield, with David Somma coming in to add extra fire-power up-front. Swans: Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Alan Tate (C), Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor; Joe Allen, Mark Gower, Stephen Dobbie (Britton, 76'); Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair, Luke Moore (Craig Beattie, 80'). Subs not used: Yves Ma-Kalambay (GK), Albert Serran, Jazz Richards, Cedric van der Gun, Darren Pratley. Leeds United: Kasper Schmeichel, Eric Lichaj, Andy O'Brien, Alex Bruce, George McCartney (Ben Parker, 73'), Neil Kilkenny, Robert Snodgrass (Billy Paynter, 73'), Jonathan Howson (c), Max Gradel, Luciano Becchio (Sanchez Watt, 61'), David Somma. Subs not used: Shane Higgs, Leigh Bromby, Ross McCormack, Richard Naylor Att: 19,309 Away: 2,920

Ref: P Dowd It was a beautiful day at the Liberty as the game kicked off in front of a packed house. Nearly 3,000 had made the long trip from Leeds for the early 12.45pm kick-off. Nathan Dyer made the first break into enemy territory as he fed Mark Gower whose shot from the edge of the area was blocked. As the noise levels increased, the Swans came within inches of taking a sixth minute lead when Dyer fed Dobbie inside the area. The striker worked room for the shot which deflected against the Leeds post before being cleared for a corner. It was the second time Dobbie had struck the woodwork in consecutive games after damaging the paintwork at Coventry on Tuesday night. From the corner, Gower picked out Scott Sinclair in space with his delivery, but the swinger's shot curled wide. The home fans only had to wait until the 13th minute to lift the lid on the Liberty as the Swans took a superb lead. Great interplay between Taylor and Sinclair took the Swans to the edge of the box. And when Luke Moore back-heeled a pass into the path of Scott Sinclair, the winger fired home his 20th goal of the season. Sinclair and Dyer continued to fly down both wings and when Sinclair was blocked by Eric Licaj, the Leeds man became the first player in the referee's notebook with 19 minutes of a great game gone. Four minutes later it was Dyer's turn as he weaved his way clear of three defenders to fire a shot at Kasper Schmeichel who did well to push it behind for a corner. Gower delivered another great cross to pick out Dyer unmarked and this time the winger's shot was blocked on the line. Alex Bruce joined Licaj in the book in the 23rd minutes for a late tackle on Dyer as the Swans maintained the upper-hand. The home side had a scare in the 41st minute when Robert Snodgrass struck a fierce shot which hit Alan Tate on the chest area before going behind for a corner. The Leeds player were convinced the ball struck Tate's arm and during the protests Neil Kilkenny was booked for comments made to the linesman. Leeds threw everything at the Swans in the dying minutes of the first-half in search of the equaliser and it was only the crossbar that denied David Somma with a great header from a Kilkenny free-kick. Half-time: Swans 1 Leeds 0 The second-half was less than three minutes old when left-back George McCartney became the fourth player to be booked for a foul on Dyer. With Leeds having come back into the game at the end of the first-half, they were rocked back on their heels in the 54th minute when the Swans extended their lead. Again Dyer was in the thick of the action as his quick feet inside the area caused Max Gradel to dive in and bring the winger crashing down. Referee Phil Dowd pointed straight to the spot and Scott Sinclair kept his cool to fire the penalty low to Schmeichel's right for his 21st goal of the season. The Jack Army were still celebrating when Leeds missed a glorious chance to pull one back on the hour when Somma broke the offside trap. But with just Dorus de Vries to beat he tried a lob which the Dutch 'keeper did well to tip over. With the game slipping away from the visitors, Leeds boss Simon Grayson made his first change by replacing Leciano Becchio with Sanchez Watt with 62 minutes gone. Three minutes later and Angel Rangel became the first Swans player in the book for a trip on Watt. Rangel was soon involved at the other end as Dyer was brought down latching on to his pass. Mark Gower took control of the free-kick and curled a superb effort around the wall which Schmeichel somehow managed to push onto the post and behind for a corner. Luke Moore was harshly booked soon after, but it was the Swans who still looked likely to grab the next goal as Sinclair fired inches wide. That third goal duly arrived in the 72nd minute - and what a breathtaking goal it was. Dyer was again involved after a superb build up that spread from one side of the field to the other. And when Dobbie played an unbelievable reverse pass through to Luke Moore, the striker rolled home his second goal in Swansea colours. Leeds sent on Billy Paynter and Ben Parker for McCartney and Snodgrass before Swans boss Brendan Rodgers made his first change in the 76th minute with Leon Britton replacing Dobbie who received a standing ovation from the Swansea faithful. Craig Beattie joined Britton in the 80th minute for Moore who again deserved his applause. With the game dead and buried, the Swans saw out the final 10 minutes before the group received their own standing ovation - and deservedly so.
    Data provided by Press Association