Skip to main content


18:30 25th April 2011

Final: Swans 4 Ipswich 1

The Swans secured themselves a place in the Championship play-offs at the Liberty Stadium after coasting to an easy victory over Ipswich Town. Two goals from Fabio Borini, his sixth in as many games, plus efforts from Luke Moore and Scott Sinclair (penalty) fired the Swans up to fourth on 74 points - and too many for the chasing pack to catch. Swans boss Brendan Rodgers made four changes to the side that battled out a goalless draw at Portsmouth on Saturday. The Swans boss felt it was a massive boost mentally though having ended a run of four consecutive away defeats. Mark Gower was ruled out with a minor ankle injury and replaced by Joe Allen in midfield. Stephen Dobbie came in for Darren Pratley, while Neil Taylor replaced Alan Tate at left-back. There was also a start for Luke Moore who replaced top scorer Scott Sinclair who had to be content with a place on the bench. Moore was expected to start as the central striker with Fabio Borini moving out to the wing. Swansea were without loan signing Tamas Priskin who was not allowed to play against his parent club as part of the agreement. The striker, however, was struggling with a knee injury and is awaiting results of a scan. Ipswich were without winger Lee Martin through suspension, whileRepublic of Ireland Under-21 international Ronan Murray, 19, was recalled from his loan stay at Torquay to sit on the bench. The major surprise was the omission of young star striker Connor Wickham and midfielder Jimmy Bullard. It meant a starting place for former Swans striker Jason Scotland who scored 53 goals in two seasons at the Liberty before joining Premier League Wigan Athletic and then Ipswich. Swansea City: Dorus de Vries, Angel Rangel, Neil Taylor, Ashley Williams, Garry Monk ©, Joe Allen, Leon Britton, Stephen Dobbie, Luke Moore, Nathan Dyer, Fabio Borini. Subs: Yves Ma-Kalambay, Scott Sinclair, Craig Beattie, Alan Tate, Darren Pratley, Andrea Orlandi, Albert Serran Ipswich Town: Aaran Lee Barrett, Gareth McAuley, Damien Delaney, Grant Leadbitter, Carlos Edwards, David Norris ©, Jason Scotland, Andy Drury, Colin Healy, Josh Carson, Darren O'Dea. Subs: Jaime Peters, Luke Hyam, Marton Fulop, Troy Brown, Luciano Civelli, Rowan Murray, Mark Kennedy. Ref: J J Linington Att: 16,001 Scotland was involved in the first opening of the game in the fifth minute when his lay off on the edge of the area found Grant Leadbitter who forced a great save from Dorus de Vries. It was a slow start from the home side - that was until Fabio Borini lifted the lid on the Liberty with Swansea's opener after nine minutes. Luke Moore, Nathan Dyer and Angel Rangel were all involved in the build up before Stephen Dobbie slipped a ball through and Borini hammered home his fifth goal in six games. And it was 2-0 in the 14th minute when Luke Moore found himself in space 25 yards out to drill a low shot under Aaran Lee-Barrett who seemed to lose his footing at the crucial moment. But just as it seemed too easy, Ipswich pulled one back in the 20th minute when Scotland laid the ball off to Colin Healy who rifled the ball beyond de Vries. Swansea regained their composure though and started passing the ball about well with Dobbie creating the space for himself for a 25-yard shot which flew just the wrong side of the upright with 26 minutes gone. The goals kept coming though as the Swans struck back in the 29th minute when Dyer slipped a great ball through for Moore. The striker saw his shot blocked on the line, but Borini was perfectly placed to bundle the ball home from close range for his second of the afternoon. Dyer was having a great battle with left-back Darren O'Dea, with no love lost between the pair, with Dyer getting the better of his man to fire a deflected shot into the side-netting. The first booking of the game didn't arrive until the 39th minute though when central defender Damien Delaney brought Moore crashing down. Dyer joined him in the 45th minute for a foul on O'Dea as tempers flared between the two. But as the half came to a close, the Swans were playing with plenty of freedom, knocking the ball around with a swagger. Half-time: Swans 3 Ipswich 1 There were two changes at the start of the second-half with Scott Sinclair replacing Borini for Swansea and Mark Kennedy coming on for O'Dea. It was Dobbie who created the first opening of the half when his through ball split the Ipswich defence to send Rangel racing to the by-line only for his dangerous cross to be headed clear by Gareth McAuley. It was the central defender's last piece of the action as he limped off to be replaced by Troy Brown with 52 minutes gone. Dyer found himself on the opposite wing minutes later to create an opening for Moore, but the striker's shot hit the side-netting. Ipswich's final change came in the 59th minute when Luciano Civelli came on for Andy Drury. The Swans had taken the sting right out of the game when the grabbed their fourth in the 71st minute. Britton picked up a screwed clearance from Delaney inside the area and having had his first penalty appeal turned down for a challenge by Mark Kennedy, no sooner had the midfielder picked himself up, he was brought crashing down again. This time the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Sinclair slotted home his 23rd of the season from the penalty. Three minutes later and Dyer forced a fine save from Lee-Barrett as the Swans were coasting at 4-1. Joe Allen sent Sinclair racing clear in the 77th minute, but Ipswich cleared the danger as the winger tried to pick out Dyer with his cross. From the corner, Ashley Williams headed over. Andrea Orlandi had replaced Dobbie straight after the spot kick, while Craig Beattie came on for Dyer with 11 minutes left and received a standing ovation for his efforts. Skipper David Norris was booked for a foul on Sinclair in the 85th minute, but the game was already over as a contest by that point.
    Data provided by Press Association