Skip to main content


18:08 28th August 2010

Sinclair strike sinks Burnley

Scott Sinclair scored the only goal of a fiery game against Burnley at the Liberty, bringing their unbeaten start to an end.

The recent recruit from Chelsea struck early on from close-range and the home side did have further chances to extend their lead.

Darren Pratley hit the woodwork in the first period but was unfortunately dismissed early in the second-half after picking up two bookings.

Tyrone Mears soon followed for a lunge on Nathan Dyer - to pick his second booking - but Burnley battled hard as they went seeking an equaliser.

Fortunately, the Swans held on to maintain their 100% home record this season.

Neil Taylor started his first league game in a Swansea City shirt against Clarets.

Fresh after making his full debut at Tranmere in midweek, the youngster kept his left-back slot while Alan Tate returned to the right-hand side.

The likes of Darren Pratley, David Cotterill, Nathan Dyer and Stephen Dobbie also returned to the starting line-up.

Swans: Dorus de Vries; Alan Tate, Ashley Williams, Garry Monk(C), Neil Taylor; Nathan Dyer (Andrea Orlani, 70'), Mark Gower, Darren Pratley, Scott Sinclair; David Cotterill (Joe Allen, 62'), Stephen Dobbie (Shefki Kuqi, 78').

Not Used:David Cornell (GK), Jordi Lopez, Albert Serran, Jazz Richards.

Burnley: Brian Jensen, Graham Alexander (C) (Jack Cork, 64'), Danny Fox, Clarke Carlisle, Dean Marney (Chris Eagles, 72'), Chris Iwelumo, Martin Paterson (Steve Thompson, 68'), Wade Elliott, Tyrone Mears, Andre Bikey, Ross Wallace.

Not Used: Lee Grant (GK), David Edgar, Leon Cort, Jay Rodriguez.

Attendance: 15,135 Away: 699

Burnley have been hotly tipped as one of the favourites for promotion this season following their relegation from the top-flight.

Brian Laws' side could also boast an unbeaten start to this campaign and with just 30 seconds played of this game they almost took the lead.

Martin Paterson got in behind full league debutant Neil Taylor and crossed low to the near post, both Ashley Williams and Dorus de Vries left the ball and front-man Chris Iwelumo almost snuck in with a with a shot.

Alan Tate came close to heading the hosts in front moments later when he flashed a header past the post from David Cotterill free-kick, but with seven minutes played the deadlock was broken.

Alan Tate got in behind Danny Fox down the right, played a neat one-two with Stephen Dobbie to get in the box and crossed into the six-yard area; David Cotterill missed it but Scott Sinclair made no mistake to fire home from two-yards.


The opener certainly lifted the atmosphere inside the Liberty Stadium and the fans were almost treated to a second 10 minutes later when Dobbie connected with Nathan Dyer's cross only to send it wide at the near post.

Dyer's pace was causing Fox all sorts of problems and he was left to charge down the flank again as the game approached the midway point, this time pulling back for Pratley who clipped the top of the bar with his effort.

It was one-way traffic for the first half-hour and the Swans were unlucky not to be further in front, but Dorus de Vries had to come to their rescue in order to keep the one-goal advantage intact when he pushed Paterson's curler around the post for a corner.

Goalscorer Sinclair was denied a penalty when he was grounded but Chris Iwelumo was guilty of missing a chance as he came to within inches of connecting with Wade Elliott's cross which, had he met with his head, would have found the bottom corner.

Half-Time: Swans 1 Burnley 0

It was business as usual at the start of the second period as the Swans went seeking a second with Cotterill and Sinclair both going close, but that came after Darren Pratley was booked for allegedly diving.

Nathan Dyer sent him on his way towards goal from a quickly taken free-kick, he went down under contact from Dean Marney on the edge of the box but referee Steve Tanner judged that he went down himself.

And it was just before the hour when the star midfielder was shown a second yellow by the Somerset official, this time for a late challenge on Tyrone Mears inside the centre circle.

But within two minutes of Pratley's dismissal the numbers were even again, Mears recovering from his challenge to ground Dyer to pick up his second yellow of the afternoon.

This was certainly turning into a heated affair but Scott Sinclair could have ended it as a contest after robbing Andre Bikey of possession and charging down on goal only to be denied at the last minute, while Dorus de Vries came to the Swans' rescue when he denied substitute Steve Thompson with his header.

The former Cardiff front-man also came agonisingly close to leveller five minutes from time when he curled inches wide of the post during a strong spell of attacking dominance by Burnley.

Ross Wallace even had the chance to level deep into injury-time but, fortunately, he curled his free-kick over the top of de Vries' goal.
    Data provided by Press Association