Skip to main content


14:37 4th October 2010

Final: Swans 0 Derby 0

The Swans remain unbeaten at the Liberty Stadium, but they couldn't grab their fifth consecutive victory as Derby County held on for a goalless draw. The home side dominated the possession stakes and created numerous half-chances, but Brendan Rodgers' side couldn't make that crucial breakthrough. Swans: Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Garry Monk (C), Ashley Williams, Alan Tate; Mark Gower, Andrea Orlandi, Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer, Cedric van der Gun, Stephen Dobbie.

Subs: Yves Makabu-Makalambay (GK), Neil Taylor, Craig Beattie, Jordi Lopez, Albert Serran, Lee Lucas.

Derby: Stephen Bywater, John Brayford, Shaun Barker, Dean Moxey, Paul Green, Robbie Savage (C), James Bailey, Kris Commons, Luke Moore, Tomasz Cywka, Alberto Bueno.

Subs: Saul Deeney (GK), Stephen Pearson, Chris Porter, Ben Pringle, Mark O'Brien, Ryan Noble. Att: 15,071 Away 592 The Swans will be without the injured pair of Darren Pratley and Scott Sinclair for the game against Derby (3pm).

Pratley is still struggling with the shoulder injury he picked up at Nottingham Forest a week ago while top-scorer Sinclair misses out with a hamstring problem.

Both are replaced by Andrea Orlandi and Cedric van der Gun respectively, while Angel Rangel starts his first game since August.

There is also a special mention for Alan Tate who makes his 300th Swans appearance against the Rams.

Match action Both in-form sides made a positive start, determined to play an open and attractive encounter. With Sinclair out, Nathan Dyer was the main outlet for the Swans early on as the winger saw plenty of ball out wide on the right. Rangel split the Derby defence with 12 minutes gone to create the first real opening of the game when Dyer won a corner which Ashley Williams headed just over. Six minutes later and Stephen Dobbie won a free kick 30 yards out, but Mark Gower's effort was easily saved by Stephen Bywater. Tomasz Cywka tried to reply for a Derby side who were passing the ball around well. The wide man pulled a dangerous ball across the face of goal, but Williams was perfectly placed to clear the danger. Joe Allen was also looking lively for the Swans as he nearly played an inch-perfect ball through to Dobbie. But Derby's Dean Moxey recovered to clear as the Swans started to move through the gears. The home side's best move came on the half-hour when Andrea Orlandi and Cedric van der Gun combined well to find Rangel in support. And when the Spaniard played in Dyer on the edge of the box, the winger unleashed a fierce shot which flew just over. Rangel and Dyer were combining well down the right, but it was Dobbie who nearly put the Swans ahead in the 36th minute. The striker slipped the ball through the legs of Paul Green on the edge of the area before firing a low shot bound for the far corner. But Bywater got down well to push his effort around the post at the expense of a corner. At the other end, skipper Garry Monk did well to stop Cywka racing in on goal with a timely tackle just inside the area, but was the Swans who finished the half on top as van der Gun just failed to get on the end of a Dobbie ball into the area. Half-time: Swans 0 Derby 0 There were no changes for the second-half as the Swans started on the front foot. The Swans could have had a penalty in the 49th minute when Orlandi went down in the box, but as the ball broke to Rangel his shot was blocked for a corner. Gower delivered it and as it fell to van der Gun 25 yards out, his curling efforts flew just wide of the top corner. Derby replied with a corner at the other end which Alberto Bueno curled into the side netting before the visitors made their first change with Ben Pringle replacing Kris Commons with 52 minutes gone. Mark Gower fired just over from the edge of the box soon after before Pringle's first touch for Derby saw his shot deflected over Swansea's crossbar. With 59 minutes gone, Swans boss Brendan Rodgers made his first change. And it was an attacking switch as striker Frank Nouble came on for midfielder Orlandi. Derby made a change themselves two minutes later with Stephen Pearson replacing Bueno. Swansea were still struggling to create that killer pass with 66 minutes gone as Derby made their final change with Ryan Noble replacing Luke Moore. Swansea responded by bringing on Jordi Lopez for Gower. But it was another substitute who nearly created the opening when Nouble picked out Dobbie inside the area. But the striker couldn't get hold of the ball. Then Swansea were given a huge scare in the 68th minute when Pearson broke clear. Monk did well to hold him up with a good interception, but when the ball fell to Pearson again he blazed a glorious chance over under good pressure from Alan Tate. Swansea were playing all the football in front of the Derby back four now, but they just couldn't find a way in behind with time running out. Rodgers made his last throw of the dice with 13 minutes remaining as striker Craig Beattie came off the bench for his first appearance of the season after injury. He replaced van der Gun. The breakthrough nearly arrived in the 84th minute when Rangel sent Dyer racing clear to the byline. He pulled a great ball back, but Beattie couldn't make the final connection as Derby made a last-gasp clearance. Beattie nearly produced the winner in injury time with two efforts which flew inches wide, but the breakthrough never came.
    Data provided by Press Association