Skip to main content


21:50 10th November 2010

Bristol City inflict first home defeat o

Swansea City's unbeaten home run was brought to an end by Bristol City.

Jon Stead scored the game's only goal early on and the home side struggled to break down the Robins' stern defence for the rest of the night.

Kemy Agustien made his first Swansea City start against Bristol City.

The Dutch midfielder came in for Mark Gower while Darren Pratley returned from suspension, replacing Joe Allen in the middle of the park.

Marvin Emnes also played his final game in Swansea colours before returning to parent club Middlesbrough.

Swans: Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Garry Monk(C), Ashley Williams, Alan Tate; Kemy Agustien (Stephen Dobbie, 65'), Andrea Orlandi (Mark Gower, 46'), Darren Pratley (Joe Allen, 46'), Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer; Marvin Emnes.

Not Used:Yves Makabu-Makalambay (GK), Neil Taylor, David Cotterill, Craig Beattie.

Bristol City:
David James, Steven Caulker, Louis Carey (C), Liam Fontaine, Jamie McAllister (Cole Skuse, 87'), Albert Adomah, Marvin Elliott, Lee Johnson, Danny Haynes (Brett Pitman, 74'), Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Jon Stead (Kalifa Cisse, 69').

Not Used: Dean Gerken (GK), Christian Ribeiro, Nicky Hunt, David Clarkson.

Attendance: 14,741 Away: 488

Referee: G D Scott (Oxfordshire)

Despite their lowly position in the league standings Bristol City were unbeaten in four prior to this meeting at a bitterly cold Liberty Stadium.

And the Robins were the side that had the better start as Jon Stead headed over after 60 seconds before the same player went on to break the deadlock minutes later.

Albert Adomah's pace down the right took him past Alan Tate and Ashley Williams before his centre was met by Danny Haynes; his shot was well stopped by Dorus de Vries but the loose ball fell to Stead who bundled home.

The visitors instantly build their blockade to try and stop the Swans playing their football but came close as Nathan Dyer and Angel Rangel made their way into the box.

Andrea Orlandi also hit the target with a 14th minute free-kick but found the hands of David James, while Elliott almost grabbed a second for Bristol but fired a half volley over the top of goal.

The Swans struggled at times to contain their opponents as the counter attack was opted as their favoured move of attack and their defence stood strong - Lee Johnson deflected a dangerous Angel Rangel to safety while Adomah clipped the crossbar after being gifted possession on the half hour.

Scott Sinclair's tame effort was easily dealt with by James five minutes later but the England stopper was beaten on 40 minutes as Sinclair raced through to meet Nathan Dyer's through ball, beating the offside trap but flicking the ball across goal and just past the post.

Half-Time: Swans 0 Bristol City 1

In a bid to change it up Brendan Rodgers made two changes at the break - both came in midfield were Andrea Orlandi and Darren Pratley were replaced by Mark Gower and Joe Allen respectively.

And within five minutes of his introduction Allen tried his luck at goal but was well off target with a shot from distance. The pint sized midfielder almost created an opening minutes later as he eased past Steven Caulker on the byline to cross into the middle, Garry Monk was ideally placed but David James got his body behind the ball to collect.

But while the Swans pressed for a leveller they were continuously being frustrated by their strong back line. But the visitors twice came close to making it 2-0 on the hour, firstly Steven Caulker heading straight at Dorus de Vries before another counter attack resulted in goalscorer Stead firing wide.

Rodgers' side were in desparate need for a goal at this point and with 25 minutes left to play threw on Stephen Dobbie to play alongside Emnes.

But within a minute of his introduction his strike partner had a glorious chance to level only to see his shot touched wide by David James. Alan Tate also had a great effort blocked on the line following Gower's proceeding corner.

Dorus de Vries made a fine save from Adomah to keep them in sight but the frustration of being unable to break them down told as Alan Tate was booked for a challenge on the same player.

Emnes did go close at the back post from Dyer's right-sided delivery, Gower was only able to find the hands of James with his drive while a dipping Sinclair effort was tipped wide by the Robins' stopper with five minutes left to play.

Alan Tate had a great shout for a penalty when he was pulled back on the six-yard box before an Ashley Williams header from Gower's corner was helped over by Sinclair - the pressure was there but nothing was coming from it, and the visitors held on to inflict a first home defeat of the season for the Swans.

    Data provided by Press Association