Skip to main content


17:09 23rd October 2010

Second-half double sinks Leicester

Marvin Emnes marked his Swansea City debut with a goal in the 2-0 win against Leicester.

The Middlesbrough loanee replaced Stephen Dobbie at half-time and within five minutes fired past visiting 'keeper Chris Weale to break the deadlock.

The Swans had further chances to extend their lead - Scott Sinclair hit the crossbar but the club's top-scorer made amends in injury-time when he slotted home his tenth of the season from Emnes' assist.

It was a result that sent Brendan Rodgers' side above Norwich and into third place in the table.

Joe Allen's inclusion in place of David Cotterill was the only change made by Brendan Rodgers.

The young Welsh international slotted straight into midfield alongside Andrea Orlandi and Darren Pratley.

Recent recruit Kemy Agustien, meanwhile, had finally overcome his knee injury to be handed a place on the bench, replacing front-man Craig Beattie.

Swans:Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Garry Monk(C), Ashley Williams, Alan Tate; Joe Allen, Andrea Orlandi (Kemy Agustien, 70'), Darren Pratley, Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair; Stephen Dobbie (Marvin Emnes, 46').

Subs:Yves Makabu-Makalambay (GK), Neil Taylor, David Cotterill, Albert Serran, Frank Nouble.

Leicester: Chris Weale, Kyle Naughton, Curtis Davies (Michael Morrison, 67'), Jack Hobbs, Greg Cunningham, Lloyd Dyer, Matt Oakley (C), Richie Wellens, Andy King (Martyn Waghorn, 70'), Matty Fryatt, Franck Moussa (Yuki Abe, 59').

Not Used: Conrad Logan (GK), Joao Teixeira, Steve Howard, Bruno Berner.

Attendance: 14,651

The attention was all on Leicester boss Sven Goran-Eriksson as he made his way out of the tunnel and into the arena.

His opposite number, Brendan Rodgers, managed to sneak his way past the large number of photographers present at the Liberty all looking to get their prized snaps of the former England boss taking up his position.

And while Leicester, playing under Sven for only the third time, burst out of the blocks, they were almost caught out inside the first 90 seconds as Stephen Dobbie tried his luck from 40-yards.

The Scotsman spotted visiting 'keeper Chris Weale off his line but failed to get any height or power behind his effort.

The opportunity gave the home support an early lift and while Leicester threatened from a corner it was the hosts that almost drew first blood, Dobbie's cross from the right inches away from the outstretched foot of Nathan Dyer seven minutes in.

Both players played an even bigger part in creating another big opportunity just before the quarter hour mark - Foxes debutant, loanee, Greg Cunningham, was caught out in possession by Dyer, he played in Dobbie and while the striker could have shot himself but squared to Darren Pratley who struck the ball into the ground and watched it dip over.

Dorus de Vries came to the Swans' rescue moments later by touching a Matty Fryatt header wide for a corner; the Dutchman was also at hand to deny Lloyd Dyer while down at the other end Chris Weale was almast left red faced when he fumbled a Pratley shot from distance before recovering it safely.

Joe Allen was certainly not looking out of place in front of the back four and he had a chance of his own on 31 minutes, driving low and inches wide of Weale's left-hand post, while Richie Wellens was off target with a similar effort four minutes later.

Leicester almost snuck an opener just before the break only to be denied once against by de Vries; Dyer's short corner picked out Wellens and his cross was met by the head of Curtis Davies, forcing Dorus into a reaction save to push the ball over the bar.

Half-Time: Swans 0 Leicester 0

Rodgers wanted to change it around at the break and threw on Marvin Emnes in place of Stephen Dobbie to make his Swans debut.

And it's a first game that he'll always remember as, with only his second touch, he fired beyond Chris Weale to break the deadlock. Darren Pratley played the Middlesbrough loanee through on goal, his pace taking him away from his marker before unleashing a strong strike into the top of the net.


The ascendency was with the Swans and Scott Sinclair twice came close to doubling the advantage in the proceeding moments, first shooting wide before finding the South Stand with his next effort.

Alan Tate shot wide on hour while Nathan Dyer was continuing to cause the Foxes' defence problems with his pace out wide.

With 20 minutes left another debut was handed out, this time to Kemy Agustien who finally overcame a knee injury to pull on the white shirt for the first time competitively.

Leicester threw on Martyn Waghorn to partner Matty Fryatt in attack as they went seeking a leveller, with with 15 left on the clock they were caught out as the Swans launched a counter attack, the move finishing off with Angel Rangel crossing into the box and Sinclair was placed only to crack the crossbar from 10-yards.

The visitors were desperately seeking a way back in and conjured up two fine chances inside the last 10 minutes, the first a Matt Oakley free-kick that de Vries did well to get down and stop, and a Wellens drive across goal that narrowly dropped the other side of the post.

Four minutes of injury-time were added to the end of this game and it was during this period that the Swans put Leicester to the sword - opening goalscorer Emnes crossing into the heart of the area where Scott Sinclair kept his cool to slot home the second.
    Data provided by Press Association