Skip to main content


17:00 20th August 2011

PREMIER LEAGUE: Swans 0 Wigan 0

Swansea City gained their first Premier League point after a hard-fought goalless draw with Wigan Athletic after keeper Michel Vorm saved Ben Watson's second-half penalty.

It was the first Premier League game to be staged at the Liberty, as Roberto Martinez also made his first trip to the stadium since leaving the Swans to join Wigan in 2009.

Both sides had decent chances, with Danny Graham going close in the first half for Swansea while Stephen Dobbie and Wayne Routledge also saw their efforts test keeper Ali Al Habsi.

But it was Wigan who ultimately had the better chances to win it.

Jordi Gomez hit the crossbar before Victor Moses saw his powerful strike rattle the crossbar. And from the loose ball, former Swan Gomez went down in the box under captain Ashley Williams' challenge.

But Vorm stepped up to the plate, keeping out Ben Watson's spotkick.

Both sides pushed for a winner, but it never came as the Swans could at least celebrate opening their Premier League account.

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Steven Caulker, Ashley Williams (capt), Neil Taylor, Kemy Agustien, Leon Britton (Joe Allen, 74), Wayne Routledge (Stephen Dobbie, 74), Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair, Danny Graham (Leroy Lita, 84). Unused subs: Jose Moreira, Alan Tate, Luke Moore, Mark Gower.

Wigan: Ali Al Habsi, Antolin Alcaraz (Ronnie Stam, 37), James McCarthy (James McArthur, 64), Gary Caldwell (capt), Ben Watson, Franco Di Santo (Hugo Rodallega, 70), Victor Moses, Jordi Gomez, Emmerson Boyce, Mohammed Diame, Maynor Figueroa. Unused subs: Mike Pollitt, Hendry Thomas, Conor Sammon, David Jones.

Referee: Phil Dowd.

Attendance: 19,068

Ashley Williams is handed the honour of captaining the Swans in their first home Premier League game, as Garry Monk misses out through injury and Alan Tate is among the replacements.

With Tate on the bench, Neil Taylor goes straight into the starting XI after missing the trip to Manchester City via his suspension.

Another change sees Wayne Routledge handed his first Swans start in place of Stephen Dobbie, who drops to the bench.

For Wigan, aside from some familiar faces on the coaching staff in Roberto Martinez, Graeme Jones, Inaki Bergara, Dennis Lawrence and physio Richard Evans, there is another on the pitch as Jordi Gomez - who enjoyed a year-long loan spell at the Liberty - is included in midfield.

The Swans started strongly, and cut open within 90 seconds. After making in-roads into the box, the Wigan defence failed to deal with heavy Swans pressure and after a loose ball fell to Danny Graham, the striker poked his effort straight at Ali Al Habsi, and the keeper gathered neatly.

The Swans came again seven minutes later as Graham got away from Antolin Alcaraz but the striker fired straight at Al Habsi.

Another chance fell Graham's away as Kemy Agustien won possession down the right flank. His centre met Graham, but he glanced his effort wide.

Wigan were looking to catch the Swans on the counter, and when Franci Di Santo picked up possession and edged ahead of Steven Caulker, Williams came to the rescue with a perfectly-timed sliding tackle on the edge of the Swans box.

But the Swans were the side that was creating the better chances. Sinclair started another as he latched onto Williams's clearance and sent Routledge down the left, and his cut-back was hacked out for a corner with Graham waiting to tap it in.

Wigan were then forced into a change as Ronnie Stam replaced the injured Alcaraz on 37 minutes, and after dealing with some home pressure, the visitors carved open a decent chance before the break for Gomez, but his shot was gathered by Michel Vorm after his initial parry.

Half-time: Swans 0 Wigan 0

Again, the Swans started well and they controlled possession and territory. And they came close to breaking the deadlock within ten minutes of the restart as Dyer's cross deflected off Emmerson Boyce and then off the boot of Sinclair. The loose fell to Graham, but he was caught off balance and Ben Watson was quick enough to clear.

There was no respite for Wigan, with Routledge the next to steam forward only to see his effort drag just wide.

They did reply through the lively Victor Moses, who got past Angel Rangel before Vorm parried his effort, but Gomez then went within a few inches of opening the scoring after his lob beat Vorm but not the post as it clattered back off the woodwork.

Suddenly, Wigan were full of fire and Moses raced forward before smashing his effort past Vorm only to see it rebound out off the crossbar.

But the action didn't stop there. From the remaining reboud, Gomez latched onto the loose before Williams, and the Spaniard went tumbling down in the box with 73 minutes on the clock.

Referee Phil Dowd gave the penalty, and Swansea hearts sunk.

Ben Watson stepped up, only to see his penalty saved by Vorm and cleared from danger.

The Swans had survived a major scare, and Brendan Rodgers responded by sending on Stephen Dobbie and Joe Allen in place of Routledge and Leon Britton.

Dobbie was soon at the thick of it as his curling effort was parried by Al Habsi straight to Sinclair, but his header spun wide.

Brendan then made his final substitution with Leroy Lita replacing for the final six minutes.

Dobbie sent another effort at Al Habsi before, at the other end, Watson's corner was flicked on by Rodallega and flew just past the near post.

But that was it, as referee Dowd called time on an exciting encounter in which both sides will feel they could have snatched.

    Data provided by Press Association