Skip to main content


11:43 30th October 2011

PREMIER LEAGUE: Norwich 3 Swans1

A brace from Anthony Pilkington helped Norwich pick up well deserved home win against a lacklustre Swansea.

The home side flew out of the traps and were ahead inside a minute as Pilkington lashed home, and Russell Martin doubled their advantage 10 minutes later.

However, Swans pulled a goal back through Danny Graham but after an efficient second half display from the hosts, Pilkington sealed the game for the Canaries after the visitors failed to deal with a corner.


Swans boss Brendan Rodgers made one change to the side that beat Stoke a fortnight ago, as Leon Britton returned from injury to replace Mark Gower who dropped to the bench.

Vangelis Moras - who completed his move to the Swans on Friday - took his place amongst the substitutes in place of Fede Bessone.

Despite their 2-0 defeat at Manchester United last time out, Norwich boss Paul Lambert named an unchanged starting line-up, with Aaron Wilbraham replacing Chris Martin on the Canaries' subs bench.

Norwich: John Ruddy, Russell Martin, Leon Barnett, Kyle Naughton, David Fox, Bradley Johnson, Anthony Pilkington, Marc Tierney, Wes Hoolahan (c) (Andrew Crofts 79), Elliott Bennett, Steve Morison (Grant Holt 67)

Subs not used: Declan Rudd, Simeon Jackson, Andrew Surman, Aaron Wilbraham, Ritchie De Laet

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams, Garry Monk (c), Neil Taylor (Jazz Richards 74), Leon Britton, Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer (Leroy Lita 69), Scott Sinclair, Wayne Routledge (Stephen Dobbie 60), Danny Graham

Unused subs: Gerhard Tremmel, Vangelis Moras, Mark Gower, Luke Moore

Referee: Mr J Moss

Attendance: 26,567

The sun was shining on a mild autumnal day in East Anglia as the match kicked off.

The home side took the lead within 60 seconds as Elliott Bennett's deep cross was nodded back across goal by Steve Morison and as the Swans defence stood still inside the box, Anthony Pilkington lashed the ball home from eight yards.

Moments later Swans skipper Garry Monk picked up the first booking of the afternoon for pulling back Morison as he looked to latch onto a long ball.

As the visitors looked to respond to the early setback, Wayne Routledge went on a surging run from inside the Norwich half but his left footed effort was easily saved by John Ruddy.


But it got worse for Swansea just two minutes later as the home team doubled their advantage with less than ten minutes on the clock.

After Angel Rangel had been penalised for holding back Pilkington on the left flank, David Fox curled a delightful free kick into the box and Russell Martin planted a firm header past Michel Vorm.

However, just two minutes later and the Swans got themselves back into the game as Scott Sinclair surged into the box and as he fell to the floor he managed to pull the ball back to Danny Graham who made no mistake from six yards with a cool left foot finish.


The Swans were now starting to get a grip of possession in the middle of midfield with both Leon Britton and Joe Allen working the ball from side to side, and on 26 minutes Angel Rangel struck vicious 25-yard drive that flew over the bar and Sinclair had a deflected shot that was easily saved by the keeper.

Norwich responded to this pressure by creating a couple of good chances of their own. First, Morison fed Pilkington who fired into the side netting, and then the Wales international had a chance of his own on 32 minutes but as he took on Monk, his left foot strike was well saved by Vorm.

The Swans finished the half strongly and had a penalty appeal turned down as Nathan Dyer went down under a challenge from Martin, before Joe Allen went down on the edge of the box but the referee waved away the protests.

At the other end, Elliott Bennett saw his hanging cross from the right flick off the top of the crossbar and behind.

Half-time: Norwich 2 Swans 1

Neither side made any chages at the half time interval as the Swans looked to salvage something from a pulsating encounter.

The second period began with neither side asserting any control on the game, and Scott Sinclair dragged his shot well wide on 56 minutes as the visitors tried in vain to turn the screw.

And it was the Swans that made the first change of the afternoon as Stephen Dobbie came on for Wayne Routledge.

However, Norwich restored their two-goal cushion three minutes later as David Fox's corner was nodded down by Barnett and as Martin squared the ball across the six yard box, Pilkington was on hand to turn the ball home and score his second of the game.


The home side were then forced into making their first substitution of the game as Morison hobbled off to be replaced by last season's top scorer Grant Holt.

Swansea made another change of their own soon after when Leroy Lita came on for Nathan Dyer, and Sinclair saw another effort fly well over the bar.

It nearly got worse for the away side on 69 minutes when Wes Hoolahan surged forward but as he was tripped on the edge of the box, the referee played a good advantage and Bradley Johnson fired a left footed effort that was comfortably saved by Vorm and the Dutch keeper was called into action again a minute later to keep out a fierce effort from Holt.

And it was Swansea who had a great chance to haul themselves back into the game as Graham did superbly down the right and pulled the ball back for Dobbie but his scuffed effort was well blocked by Martin.

A bad afternoon for Brendan Rodgers' side got even worse five minutes from time as Stephen Dobbie failed to shake off a knock picked up after a challenge from Naughton, and the Scot hobbled off with the Swans having used all their substitutes.

    Data provided by Press Association