Skip to main content


18:30 3th December 2011

PREMIER LEAGUE: Blackburn 4 Swans 2

The Swans's search for first Premier League away win continued after Yakubu scored four times as Blackburn ran out 4-2 winners at Ewood Park.

The Nigerian's superb strike put the hosts ahead before Leroy Lita headed in from Mark Gower's cross to level.

Yakubu headed in on the stroke of half-time to put Blackburn ahead again, before he slotted home from close range after Chris Samba's neat header from a corner.

Substitute Luke Moore pulled one back before the contest was settled. Joe Allen was dismissed for two bookings before Yakubu scored from the spot after Neil Taylor upended sub Simon Vukcevic in the box.

The Swans were forced into two changes. With Angel Rangel ruled out as expected, striker Danny Graham also missed out after picking up an injury in the home draw with Aston Villa last week.

Jazz Richards made his first Premier League start in place of Rangel while Leroy Lita got the nod up front.

Blackburn: Paul Robinson, Chris Samba, Gael Givet, David Dunn (Radosav Petrovic, 76), Mauro Formica, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Scott Dann, Ruben Rochina (Simon Vukcevic, 40), Junior Hoilett, Yakubu (Jason Roberts, 87), Jason Lowe. Subs: Mark Bunn, David Goodwillie, Grant Hanley, Adam Henley.

Swans: Michel Vorm, Jazz Richards, Garry Monk (capt), Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor, Leon Britton, Mark Gower (Luke Moore, 61), Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer (Wayne Routledge, ht), Scott Sinclair, Leroy Lita. Subs: Gerhard Tremmel, Vangelis Moras, Fede Bessone, Kemy Agustien, Stephen Dobbie.

Referee: Chris Foy

Attendance: 23,080


A minute's applause was held in mark of respect for Gary Speed, who passed away six days ago.

The Swans, wearing their new orange strip for the first time in a competitive game, started positively.

Scott Sinclair was the first to have the game's first attempt after seven minutes following a neat break from Neil Taylor. Sinclair cut inside his marker before driving his effort just the wrong side of Paul Robinson's near post.

Blackburn replied as a long Robinson free-kick was spilled by opposite number Michel Vorm, then the hosts took the lead.

With 20 minutes on the clock, Gael Givet latched onto a pass by Junior Hoilett and slipped it inside to Yakubu, who sidefooted a superb finish into the top corner.


The hosts pushed on again, with Hoilett's cross finding Givet unmarked at the back post. But the defender headed straight at Vorm, who collected easily.

Mauro Formica then drilled a low cross from Jason Lowe well wide before the visitors struck back on 34 minutes.

It was a well-worked move, with Leon Britton instrumental in the early stages. Eventually, after a phase of passes, Mark Gower - who collected a one-two from Nathan Dyer -crossed to the back post for Leroy Lita to head back across goal and into the net via the far post.


Shortly after, Blackburn boss Steve Kean was forced into a change as Ruben Rochina was replaced by Simon Vukcevic after picking up an injury.

But it was the Swans who carved out the next chance as fine work by Britton and Neil Taylor teeing up Sinclair, but the winger fired high and wide from the corner of the penalty area.

Blackburn replied as the half entered added on time as Morten Gamst Pedersen's long throw was half-cleared by Garry Monk only to Hoilett, but his volley flew into the Swans supporters behind Vorm's goal.

There was time for another goal though as Blackburn and Yakubu struck again. Pedersen's corner was nodded out by Monk, but sub Vukcevic's volley curled across the box to Yakubu, who headed in at the far post.

Half-time: Blackburn 2 Swans 1


Brendan made a change at the break with Wayne Routledge replacing Dyer.

The Swans, in the pouring rain, created the first chance as Sinclair beat two men before setting up Lita at the edge of the box, but this time the striker was off target as he blasted his shot over.

Sinclair was at it again, beating Lowe and Vukcevic but his effort bounced into the sidenetting.

At the other end, Vukcevic slipped through a pass for Yakubu, who poked it past Vorm and into the net. But the assistant referee flagged, correctly, to rule out the goal.

But the striker was to get his hat-trick just before the hour as captain Chris Samba nodded back Pedersen's corner and Yakubu slotted home from six yards.

Brendan responded by replacing Mark Gower with Luke Moore as the Swans looked to pull themselves back into the game.

It proved a wise move as five minutes later Moore pulled the Swans back into it. Routledge's cross was spilled by Robinson straight to the sub, who fired in from close range.

The visitors were now on the front foot, applying the pressure as Blackburn nervously clung on.

Sinclair had an opportunity to level as Jazz Richards's cross was half-cleared to the winger, but he fired over from the edge of the box.


The Swans's chances were all but ended with ten minutes left.

Firstly, Joe Allen was dismissed after seeing his second yellow card for allegedly tugging back Hoilett, before Vukcevic was upended by Neil Taylor in the box a minute later.

Up stepped Yakubu, and the Nigerian sent Vorm the wrong way to score his and Blackburn's fourth.

Sinclair was denied by a superb reflex save from Robinson as the game ticked into added on time, but that was the end of the action as Swansea, cruelly, went down to defeat.

    Data provided by Press Association