Skip to main content


22:40 3th March 2012

PREMIER LEAGUE: Wigan 0 Swans 2

Gylfi Sigurdsson's superb double earned ten-man Swans a deserved third away win at Wigan to move 11 points clear of the relegation zone.

The first of the Icelandic international's goals came via a stunning curling effort that dropped into the top corner on the stroke of half-time.

Sigurdsson then fired a sublime 25-yard free-kick past Ali Al Habsi in the second half to double the Swans lead.

Shortly after, Nathan Dyer was dismissed by referee Andre Marriner for an alleged high challenge on former Swans Jordi Gomez.

But the Swans held on bravely for the last half hour to claim a win that gave them further breathing space from the bottom clubs.

Brendan Rodgers made just one change from the starting XI that lost at Stoke as Michel Vorm returned between the sticks.

Vorm recovered from the virus which saw him sit out the defeat at the Britannia Stadium which meant Gerhard Tremmel returned to the bench.

The Swans were without Leroy Lita, however, as the striker didn't travel with the squad as he was suffering with a virus.

Wigan: Ali Al Habsi, Altolin Alcaraz, James McCarthy, Gary Caldwell (capt), Franco Di Santo, Jordi Gomez, James McArthur (Mohamed Diame, ht), Emmerson Boyce, Conor Sammon(Victor Moses, ht), Jean Beausejour, Maynor Figueroa (Hugo Rodellega, 68).
Subs: Chris Kirkland, Albert Crusat, Ben Watson, Ronnie Stam.

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Steven Caulker, Ashley Williams (capt), Neil Taylor, Leon Britton, Joe Allen, Gylfi Sigurdsson (Alan Tate, 63), Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair, Danny Graham (Luke Moore, 75).
Subs: Gerhard Tremmel, Garry Monk, Wayne Routledge, Josh McEachran, Mark Gower.


The Swans started well, with Angel Rangel and Nathan Dyer linking up well with the latter's cross in the tenth minute causing havoc in the Wigan box.

Dyer then saw his effort collected easily enough by Ali Al Habsi as the visitors were enjoying the early territory and possession stats.

The Swans went close again, Scott Sinclair - a former Wigan loanee - fired high and wide after Gylfi Sigurdsson's free-kick had only been half-cleared.

Dyer was causing problems down Wigan's left, and again he opened up the home defence on the half hour as he latched onto a fine Sigurdsson through ball, but Al Habsi kept the winger's effort out.

The roles then reversed with Dyer teeing up Sigurdsson, but the Icelandic midfielder's shot bounced wide of the far post.

Wigan responded with Jean Beausejour's fine cross just failing to find Franco Di Santo before Emmerson Boyce saw his header swatted away by Vorm.

It was a brief respite for the hosts with the Swans pushing forward.

With five minutes left of the half, the Swans went desperately close to opening the lead as Sinclair latched onto a return pass from Dyer in the Wigan box, and Sinclair rounded Al Habsi but saw his shot cleared off the line by James McCarthy.

The Swans did get their goal - a deserved one at that - with the last kick of the half as Steven Caulker's fine chipped pass found Sigurdsson 20 yards out, and he took a few touches before stroking his effort into the top corner.


Half-time: Wigan 0 Swans 1

Roberto Martinez made a double change at the break with Victor Moses and Mohamed Diame replacing Conor Sammon and McCarthy.

The home side were quickly out of the blocks with Angel Rangel's clearance denying Wigan a great chance to level within the opening 40 seconds of the restart.

But the Swans responded quickly themselves, Sigurdsson heading over from Sinclair's cross after the winger had worked himself into space.

Another chance went begging as Joe Allen did superbly well to pinch possession in midfield and after he latched onto Danny Graham's return pass, the Wales midfielder was in on goal. But Al Habsi came to Wigan's rescue again, however, as he palmed Allen's low effort wide.

The lead was soon doubled though after Dyer was floored by sub Moses 25 yards out. Up stepped Sigurdsson, and he curled a superb effort into the far post with Al Habsi rooted to the spot.


But as the cheers were starting to settle down from the away end, referee Andre Marriner made a big call on the hour.

As former Swan Jordi Gomez and Dyer went into a challenge, Marriner adjudged the winger to have shown his studs with a high challenge as Gomez tumbled to the ground.

Down to ten men, Brendan made an immediate change with Alan Tate replacing goalscorer Sigurdsson. That meant Tate moved to right-back with Rangel moving ahead of him.

Martinez made his final change with Hugo Rodellega coming on in place of Maynor Figeroa. Moments after, Beausejour saw a rasping drive fly just over the crossbar as the hosts started to apply more pressure.

Another change followed, with Luke Moore replacing Graham for the last 15 minutes as the Swans looked to hold on to their lead.

Vorm then denied Moses's powerful drive as Wigan started to throw everything forward.

But they couldn't find a consolation as the Swans deservedly held through five minutes of added time.

    Data provided by Press Association