Skip to main content


21:55 14th April 2012

PREMIER LEAGUE: Swans 3 Blackburn 0

Two goals from Gylfi Sigurdsson helped the Swans get back to winning ways with a comfortable win over struggling Blackburn.

The Icelandic midfielder broke the deadlock after 37 minutes when his left foot shot flew into the top corner and Nathan Dyer doubled the lead before the break after a flowing passing move.

The second period followed a similiar pattern as the Swans made it 3-0 when Sigurdsson's shot hit the post and went in off Scott Dann for an own goal.

David Dunn hit the post for Rovers, who offered very little, and remain in the relegation zone with just four games left to play.

Brendan made just one change to the side that were beaten by QPR in midweek, as Nathan Dyer returned in place of Wayne Routledge on the right hand side.

Leroy Lita returned to the squad and Josh McEachran was a late addition to the substitutes bench after defender Alan Tate limped off in the warm up.

Rovers boss Steve Kean made two changes to the side that lost against Liverpool on Tuesday night, as Morten Gamst Pedersen and Marcus Olsson replaced Martin Olsson and midfielder Mauro Formica.

On-loan striker Anthony Modeste returned from a one match ban to take his place on the visitors' bench.

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel (Garry Monk, 89), Ashley Williams (capt), Steven Caulker, Neil Taylor, Leon Britton (Mark Gower, 68), Joe Allen, Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Danny Graham (Leroy Lita, 85)

Subs not used: Gerhard Tremmel, Wayne Routledge, Josh McEachran, Luke Moore

Blackburn: Paul Robinson (capt), Jason Lowe, David Dunn, Steven Nzonzi, Scott Dann, Bradley Orr, Morten Gamst Pedersen, Marcus Olsson, Junior Hoilett (Anthony Modeste, 55), Grant Hanley (Mauro Formica, HT), Yakubu (Anthony Modeste, 55)

Subs not used: Jake Kean, Ruben Rochina, Martin Olsson, Radosav Petrovic

After a run of four consecutive defeats the Swans were looking to get back to winning ways against a Blackburn side who had also won just once in five games.

And it was the visitors who made the brighter start, winning a series of free kicks in the Swansea half. But it was from a corner that they had the first chance on goal as Scott Dann rose highest to meet Morten Gamst Pedersen's delivery from the left but his effort cleared the crossbar.

However, the Swans settled into the game and had their first effort on goal on 15 minutes as the returning Nathan Dyer set up Gylfi Sigurdsson for a shot, but the Icelandic midfielder saw his effort didn't come close to troubling Paul Robinson in the Rovers goal.

And it was the on-loan Hoffenheim man that was involved the first controversial moment of the game on 22 minutes as he latched onto to Angel Rangel's low cross before being caught from behind by Pedersen but referee Mark Clattenburg waved away the penalty appeals.

Half chances then followed for Yakubu and Rangel at either end, before Junior Hoilett picked up the first booking of the afternoon for a poorly timed tackle on Neil Taylor.

By now the home side were on top and they deservedly took the lead with a fine goal on 37 minutes.

Sigurdsson had already stung the palms of Robinson with a powerful drive from 25 yards, before the midfielder cut in from the right hand edge of the box to curl and unstoppable left foot shot into the top corner for his first goal at the Liberty Stadium.

And Swansea nearly made it two just five minutes before the break as Steven Nzonzi's poor backpass was collected by Danny Graham who looked to curl into the far corner but Robinson pulled off a fine save at full stretch to deny the Swans' top scorer.

However, it was brief respite for the visitors who found themselves with a mountain to climb on the stroke of half-time as the Swans doubled their advantage.

After a poor clearance in the Rovers defence, Sinclair squared the ball for Graham who put it on a plate for Dyer and the winger coolly slotted the ball past Robinson from six yards.

Half time: Swans 2 Blackburn 0

Blackburn made a change at the interval as defender Grant Hanley made way for Mauro Formica as Steve Kean looked to get his side back into the game.

But it was the Swans who began the second period as they ended the first, and they nearly grabbed a third when Graham's dangerous cross from the right was turned behind at the far post by Jason Lowe.

Meanwhile, at the other end, Rovers had a half chance as Scott Dann's knockdown found David Dunn in space but his tame effort was collected easily by Vorm.

But it was the home side who were turning the screw, and they grabbed a third goal shortly after the hour mark.

Scott Sinclair - who had terrorised Bradley Orr all afternoon - weaved his way past two Blackburn defenders before crossing for Sigurdsson. His shot hit the post, but rebounded in off Scott Dann for an own goal.

The Swans were now playing with freedom and confidence, but they had a lucky escape on two occasions as Dunn headed over from Pedersen's corner, before the midfielder saw his curling effort came back off the woodwork on 66 minutes.

Brendan made his first change of the afternoon shortly after as the superb Leon Britton was withdrawn and replaced by Mark Gower.

With the game entering the final quarter, Sinclair saw a rasping effort drift just over before the Swans made their second change of the game as Leroy Lita replaced the tireless Danny Graham.

And the former Middlesbrough striker nearly made an instant impact as he turned on the edge of the box before firing in a left foot shot that Robinson did well to keep out.

Sigurdsson tried in vain for his hat-trick in stoppage time as his free kick was comfortably saved by Robinson, but the result means that Rovers remain in the bottom three after just one win in six games.

    Data provided by Press Association