Skip to main content


22:20 15th August 2011

PREMIER LEAGUE: Man City 4 Swans 0

Swansea City made their long-awaited debut in the Premier League, and held their own for almost an hour before Manchester City's quality took over.

The Sky cameras were at the Etihad Stadium as Roberto Mancini's FA Cup winners ran out 4-0 victors thanks to a stunning debut from Sergio Aguero. The £38million signing from Atletico Madrid came off the bench to score twice and set up another as City finished in style.

But the Swans could take plenty of positives from this game, as they controlled matters in the first half with their possession play frustrating the hosts.

Captain Garry Monk was the big miss for the Swans, as he was ruled out with a foot problem. That meant Steven Caulker - on loan from Tottenham Hotspur - started and with Neil Taylor suspended, Alan Tate skippered the side from left-back.

Along with Caulker, fellow summer signings Michel Vorm and Danny Graham made their debuts from the start while Jose Moreira, Wayne Routledge and Leroy Lita were on the bench.

Manchester City: Joe Hart, Micah Richards, Vincent Kompany (capt), Joleon Lescott, Gael Clichy, Nigel De Jong (Sergio Aguero, 58), Gareth Barry, Adam Johnson (Stefan Savic, 74), Yaya Toure, David Silva (James Milner, 82), Edin Dzeko. Unused subs: Stuart Taylor, Pablo Zabaleta, Aleksandar Kolarov, Mario Balotelli.

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Steven Caulker, Ashley Williams, Alan Tate (capt), Kemy Agustien, Leon Britton (Joe Allen, 65), Stephen Dobbie (Wayne Routledge, 65), Nathan Dyer (Leroy Lita, 81), Scott Sinclair, Danny Graham. Unused subs: Jose Moreira, Mark Gower, Andrea Orlandi, Luke Moore.

The Swans settled into their new surroundings comfortably enough in the opening ten minutes.

Despite decent pressure from the hosts, the Swans managed to play their patient passing style. There was one scary moment as a loose ball bounced into the visitors' box, but a decent block snuffed out the danger and the Swans cleared.

Apart from that, Stephen Dobbie was teed up by Alan Tate's throw-in, but the Scot thumped his volley high and wide.

The game ticked past the 20-minute mark and the Swans were starting to frustrate the home crowd. Passing the ball well and controlling the tempo, the Swans had did what Brendan would have asked for.

Then City had their best effort as Silva latched onto a one-two and fired a vicous left-footed effort that curled towards the far post. Vorm leapt across goal and palmed it out with a superb one-handed save.

City came again, this time through Dzeko, but his effort was partially blocked by Ashley Williams as the home pressure started to rise.

As the pressure rose, so too did the noise.

And the home fans were almost celebrating a goal on the half-hour mark as Johnson found Silva in the box and his effort looped onto the crossbar before being cleared.

The Swans weren't creating much, but Brendan would be happy with the way his side were taking the sting out of the game.

The City fans were getting more frustrated as the minutes ticked by, while the travelling Jack Army were happier by the second.

But City quickly reminded the visitors of their quality with a quick attack as Toure slipped in Dzeko, but the striker was denied by the on-rushing Vorm as the half entered added on time.

From the resulting corner, the ball was half-cleared to Barry on the edge of the box and the England midfielder let rip with a rasping drive that again rattled the crossbar.

The Swans had survived another scare and the away support drew a huge sigh of relief as the half-time whistle went.

Half-time: Manchester City 0 Swans 0

Neither side made changes at the break, and there wasn't much of a change in the way the game was going either.

The Swans continued to frustrate, and after one City attack the visitors broke with pace and Dobbie went for goal from 25 yards, but Hart - at full stretch - parried and collected the loose ball.

But then City struck. Silva did well to hold off Britton in his own half before racing on and finding Johnson on the right. The former Middlebrough man cut inside and curled an effort towards the far post, Vorm parried and the loose ball fell straight to Dzeko, who made no mistake from eight yards out.

Mancini then made a change, Aguero replacing Nigel De Jong. Brendan made a double change of his own - Joe Allen and Wayne Routledge coming on for Leon Britton and Stephen Dobbie.

It made little difference though as Richards' fine low cross along goal found its way to Aguero at the back post and the striker tapped home his debut goal.

Shortly after it was 3-0. Aguero was the architect this time as he chipped Vorm and just managed to keep the ball in play to square it to the unmarked Silva, who thumped in from close range. Replays confirmed the ball was clearly over the line before Aguero pulled it back in, but it mattered little.

The wave of City pressure continued and, after referee Mike Dean had penalised Vorm for handling a pass-back, Toure saw his deflected shot stopped just before the line thanks to a superb reflex save from the Dutch keeper.

The Swans support were still singing away despite the score, and they saw their side continue to spray the ball around as they looked for a consolation goal.

Despite the bravery in their approach, the Swans weren't to get a consolation.

In fact, there was time for one more for City and Aguero, the striker letting rip from 25 yards with an unstoppable effort into the far corner.

This was a reminder of what the Premier League is all about.

Two goals and an assist for City's big and expensive summer signing.

The home crowd left happy. The away fans strolled out of the ground not too down-hearted either, despite the result. Certainly, going down at City is not a disgrace.

It was a second 4-0 defeat for the promoted club's following QPR's home defeat to Bolton.

But the Swans will take plenty from this experience and learn from that ahead of Saturday's home clash with Wigan.

    Data provided by Press Association