Skip to main content


13:37 3th January 2012


The Swans were made to settle for a point as they were held by QPR at the Liberty in a battle between the newly-promoted sides.

Danny Graham had put the Swans ahead in the first half as his sublime shot on the turn dropped into the bottom corner for his sixth goal of the season.

But Rangers kept plugging away and they got themselves back on level terms before the hour as Jamie Mackie beat Michel Vorm from close range after keeper Paddy Kenny's long punt upfield skimmed off the head of Leon Britton and into his path.

The Swans felt they had a legitimate penalty turned down later on as Armand Traore brought down Graham, but referee Lee Probert turned down the appeals.

The draw meant the Swans sat in 14th position with 19 points after 18 games - five points ahead of third-bottom Wigan - as the league approached the half-way mark.

The Swans made just two changes from the side that lost at Everton.

Kemy Agustien came into the starting XI in place of Mark Gower after replacing his fellow midfielder at half-time for the previous two fixtures.

Neil Taylor failed to recover from the knee injury he sustained in the defeat at Goodison Park, so that meant Angel Rangel returned to the fold after recovering from injury himself. Rangel started at right-back with young Jazz Richards moving to the opposite flank.

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel (Luke Moore, 57), Steven Caulker, Ashley Williams (capt), Jazz Richards, Kemy Agustien, Leon Britton, Joe Allen, Wayne Routledge (Nathan Dyer, 57), Scott Sinclair, Danny Graham.
Subs: Gerhard Tremmel, Garry Monk, Mark Gower, Stephen Dobbie, Leroy Lita.

QPR: Paddy Kenny, Clint Hill, Shaun Derry, Fitz Hall, Adel Taarabt, Alejandro Faurlin, Jamie Mackie, Armond Traore, Joey Barton (capt), Luke Young, Heidar Helguson.
Subs: Radek Cerny, Bradley Orr, Danny Gabbidon, Jay Bothroyd, Matt Connelly, Tommy Smith, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Referee: Lee Probert

Referee: 19,530


The game between two of last season's promoted sides begun in positive fashion, Danny Graham seeing his side-footed effort from Joe Allen's corner cleared from danger before the striker just failed to connect with Wayne Routledge's curling cross.

Then, in the 14 minute, Graham did connect with finely-struck shot. He controlled Routledge's chipped pass and then curled a superb low drive into the bottom right-hand corner.

The visitors replied via Joey Barton, the QPR skipper seeing his 25-yard thunderous effort being palmed over by Michel Vorm.

Ashley Williams then saw his header from Allen's corner drop the wrong side of the near post before Graham poked his shot into the sidenetting.

Graham was again at it in the 35th minute, holding off the giant frame of Fitz Hall before seeing Paddy Kenny scramble across goal to save his low drive.

Neil Warnock's side kept plugging away and carved open a fine chance as Luke Young found Heidar Helguson in the box with a neat cross, but the striker looped his header over the crossbar from eight yards out.

Helguson again went close as, in an indentical fashion, he nodded over from the same spot following Barton's cross.


HALF-TIME: Swans 1 QPR 0

Neither side made changes at the break, and it was Rangers who created the first opportunity, Adel Taarabt seeing his effort bounced wide after a deflection off Williams before Alejandro Faurlin curled a 20-yard drive wide.

The Swans replied with Allen slipping a neat through ball for Routledge, but the former Rangers winger saw his poked shot bounce wide.

It proved Routledge's last contribution as he was then replaced in a double change. Nathan Dyer was his direct replacement just before the hour with Luke Moore also coming on in place of Angel Rangel.

That saw Moore introduced into midfield with Agustien moving to right-back.

Then, just seconds after the change, Rangers drew level. A long ball was sent forward and that skimmed off Leon Britton's head and into the patch of Jamie Mackie, who slipped his effort past Vorm.

With 18 minutes left, the Swans felt they should have been awarded a penalty after Graham went down under a challenge by Armand Traore. Referee Lee Probert turned down the appeals despite replays indicating contact was made.

At the other end, Taarabt tested Vorm as the winger's effort from 25 yards looked to be dropping into the bottom corner but the Dutch keeper dived low to make a tremendous save.


Allen's inswinging free-kick was then spilled by Kenny but no home shirt was close by, and with the game ticking into added-on time, both sides had three minutes in which to look for the winner.

But neither team could find a way through, with the spoils shared on this occasion.

    Data provided by Press Association