Skip to main content


11:33 9th April 2012

PREMIER LEAGUE: Swans 0 Newcastle 2

Two goals from Papiss Cisse condemned the Swans to their fourth home defeat and third consecutive loss.

Cisse fired Newcastle ahead after five minutes with a low drive into the corner following a quick counter attack.

And despite the Swans dominating possession and territory for the rest of the half, the visitors contained the hosts and prevented them from creating any clear-cut chances.

After the break, it was a similar pattern of play that followed, and Cisse's sublime effort which looped over Vorm with 20 minutes to go effectively finished off any comeback.

It was a massive win for the visitors, which pushed them ahead of Chelsea and into fifth before the weekend's games.

For the Swans, it meant they missed another opportunity to pass the 40-point mark and end their run of consecutive reverses.

On the selection front, Steven Caulker, Nathan Dyer and Luke Moore returned to the starting XI.

Caulker was back in action after he missed the previous game at Tottenham Hotspur as he was ineligible to face his parent club while Dyer's inclusion meant Scott Sinclair was on the bench.

There was a change up front too as Luke Moore was given the nod ahead of Danny Graham following some impressive performances off the bench in recent matches.

Swans:Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Steven Caulker, Ashley Williams (capt), Neil Taylor, Leon Britton, Joe Allen, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Nathan Dyer (Scott Sinclair, 67), Wayne Routledge, Luke Moore (Danny Graham, 67).
Subs: Gerhard Tremmel, Alan Tate, Garry Monk, Josh McEachran, Mark Gower.

Newcastle:Tim Krul, Davide Santon, Yohan Cabaye (Dan Gosling, 73), Danny Simpson, Mike Williamson, Papiss Cisse, Hatem Ben Arfa, James Perch, Jonas Gutierrez (capt), Demba Ba (Shane Ferguson, 59), Cheik Tiote (Ryan Taylor, ht).
Subs: Mehdi Abeid, Shola Ameobi, James Tavernier, Robert Elliot.

The Swans went close to opening the scoring after two minutes with newly named Barclays Player of the Month for March Gylfi Sigurdsson firing just wide following a neat pass from Nathan Dyer after Papiss Cisse had lost possession near the edge of his own box.

But Newcastle struck soon after, Yoan Cabaye's superb one-touch sending Cisse in on goal and the striker's shot found the corner of the net despite Michel Vorm getting a hand to his effort.


Angel Rangel then fired over after Dyer had stepped over Leon Britton's pass through to the edge of the box before Joe Allen shot straight at Tim Krul following a surge forward from Steven Caulker.

Newcastle then had a great chance to double their lead as Demba Ba was put through after Wayne Routledge was dispossessed, but Caulker raced back to time a fine block on his shot.

The visitors were closing down the Swans and closed down the space well, but Sigurdsson managed to get himself into some space on the half hour before launching a thunderous 25-yard shot which Krul just managed to tip over. From Sigurdsson's corner, Caulker rose highest but his header landed over the crossbar.

Krul then collected Sigurdsson's 25-yard free-kick after Mike Williamson had been booked for a challenge from behind on Luke Moore.

Half-time: Swans 0 Newcastle 0


The Swans looked to get out of the blocks quickly in the second half and Allen saw his deflected drive bounce off Krul for a corner before Rangel saw his shot touched wide for another corner.

Caulker then headed straight at Krul from Angel Rangel's cross before Pardew had seen enough of the early pressure. After replacing Cheik Tiote with Ryan Taylor at the break, Pardew then took Demba Ba off and replaced him with Shane Ferguson.

Cisse then fired wide in a neat counter attack for the visitors before Brendan made a double change with Scott Sinclair and Danny Graham replacing Dyer and Moore with 23 minutes left.

Sinclair made a fine start, his shot being deflected wide for a corner following a fine pass from Sigurdsson.

But Newcastle, in another swift counter, struck again. Hatem Ben Arfa threaded through for Cisse in the box, and the striker controlled well before delicately chipping Vorm into the far corner.

Sinclair then saw his effort parried by Krul before Sigurdsson curled his 20-yard shot wide.


Rangel then glanced his header wide from Sigurdsson's corner as the game ticked towards the final minutes.

But Newcastle comfortably held onto their lead and left the Liberty with all three points.

    Data provided by Press Association