Skip to main content


23:56 21st June 2012

Spurs 1 Swans 0

The Swans went down to a 1-0 defeat at White Hart Lane as Jan Vertonghen's 75th-minute strike denied Michael Laudrup's side a point in North London.
After victories over QPR and most recently Arsenal, the Swans were hoping to make it a hat-trick of successes in the capital.
Jonathan de Guzman, Michu and Nathan Dyer all went close, but the Belgian defender's strike proved the difference in this encounter as the Swans points tally reads 23 points from 17 games.

The Swans made three changes from the side that booked a Capital One Cup semi-final spot after victory over Middlesbrough in midweek.
Ashley Williams returned from suspension to lead the side as Garry Monk was included among the substitutes, while Dwight Tiendalli won his first Premier League start in place of Angel Rangel, who missed out with a calf problem.
Michu led the line, which meant Itay Shechter dropped to the bench as Ki Sung-Yueng was back in the starting XI in a midfield trio also involving Leon Britton and Jonathan de Guzman.
For the hosts, Gareth Bale missed out through injury while England midfielder Scott Parker was on the bench along with former Swans loanees Steven Caulker and Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Tottenham: Hugo Lloris, Clint Dempsey (Gylfi Sigurdsson, 70), Jan Vertonghen, Aaron Lennon, Emmanuel Adebayor (Andros Townsend, 72), William Gallas, Kyle Naughton, Jermain Defoe, Mousa Dembele (Scott Parker, 90), Kyle Walker, Sandro.
Subs: Brad Friedel, Tom Huddlestone, Jake Livermore, Steven Caulker.

Swans: Gerhard Tremmel, Dwight Tiendalli, Chico Flores, Ashley Williams (capt), Ben Davies, Leon Britton, Ki Sung-Yueng (Luke Moore, 75), Jonathan de Guzman (Kemy Agustien, 60), Nathan Dyer (Danny Graham, 86), Wayne Routledge, Michu.
Subs: David Cornell, Jazz Richards, Garry Monk, Itay Shechter.

The first threat of the game came five minutes in as Jonathan de Guzman's corner bounced towards the back post, but Chico Flores couldn't keep his effort on target.
The home side replied via an effort from Jermain Defoe, who shot straight at Gerhard Tremmel after the Spurs midfield dispossessed Nathan Dyer.
Spurs pressed again, winning the ball off Michu in his own half before pushing on via Sandro following a neat back heel pass from Defoe, but Michu slid in to block the effort.
Then Emmanuel Adebayor's shot from Kyle Walker's cross was blocked by Leon Britton as the hosts upped the pressure.
A curling Dwight Tiendalli cross then just failed to meet the head of Wayne Routledge, before the shoulder of Tremmel came to the rescue for the Swans as Walker's thunderous half-volley deflected back out to Adebayor, but his weak header dropped easily to the German keeper.
The Swans raced back up the other end, Routledge taking play on before spreading right to de Guzman, and the midfielder's powerful drive beat Hugo Lloris but rose just over the crossbar.
Michu then went even closer as he latched onto Sandro's loose pass and the Spaniard shot for goal from 40 yards out. Lloris was off his line, and he was relieved to see it drop inches past the crossbar.

Half-time: Spurs 0 Swans 0

The Swans were the first to attack, and it was a good chance too as Routledge crossed to Dyer, but the winger didn't make enough contact as the ball flew across the face of goal.
Tremmel then had to dive down low to palm Adebayor's shot wide for a corner before Walker fired over after being teed up by Defoe.
Then Michael Laudrup made his first change as Kemy Agustien replaced de Guzman on the hour mark.
Andre Villas-Boas responded with changes of his own, Gylfi Sigurdsson coming on against his former club in place of Clint Dempsey while Andros Townsend replaced the injured Adebayor.
Luke Moore then replaced Ki Sung-Yueng for the last 15 minutes, and seconds later the home side were ahead.
Walker's free-kick was nudged on to Jan Vertonghen, who volleyed in to the far corner.
Laudrup made his change in the final five minutes, Danny Graham for Dyer as the Swans went in search of an equaliser.
It was Spurs who created the next big chance, Sigurdsson sliding through a pass for Defoe, but Tremmel raced out and blocked his shot.
Five minutes of added on time were to follow, but the Swans couldn't find a breakthrough as they suffered a second consecutive league defeat.